I've tested this patch (on its own, applied to wip-ppc64le locally, without the other two patches mentioned earlier in this thread), and it successfully restores the "supported systems" for emacs (thus fixing the tests/package.sh test failure), without changing rust's list of supported systems, which remains hard-coded to x86_64-linux. Eventually I think I will definitely need a change like the one Chris proposed in order to actually troubleshoot build failures involving rust on powerpc64le-linux, but I suppose when the time comes, I can do it in a private branch and save the build farm some wasted cycles. It's fine with me if we don't make a change like that right now, since it isn't blocking my porting work. Mark H Weaver writes: > Aside: I wish that Guix included a convenient tool to answer the > question "Why does package X depend on package Y?", i.e. "What paths of > dependencies lead from package X to package Y?", without having to view > the entire dependency graph (which is often too complex to grasp > visually). Ricardo Wurmus writes: > (“guix graph” is of no help here, because it doesn’t show build system > packages, so I looked through the derivations.) The "--paths" option with "--type=bag" shows you this (results below were, of course, taken before applying the patch above): --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- marusich@suzaku:~/repos/guix$ ./pre-inst-env guix graph --type=bag --path gtk+ rust gtk+@3.24.24 gdk-pixbuf+svg@2.42.2 librsvg@2.50.3 rust@1.49.0 --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- Christopher Baines writes: > I've gone ahead and pushed the patch I proposed to master, I think it's > a step forward. > > As you say, adapting the change for core-updates might be good as > well. I want to check though if rust builds for i686-linux on > core-updates, as the path is different to master, so it may well work. > > So yeah, once I've found out whether rust works on i686-linux on > core-updates, I might make a change there too. I don't have a strong personal opinion about this, since I'm building everything from source anyway, and I want a patch like this eventually on core-updates, too. However, in light of Mark's comments, is it a good idea to apply that patch right now? -- Chris