unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-03-31 17:17 Tom Hiller
From: Tom Hiller @ 2021-03-31 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: piotr.krol

Could cmake-minimal be made publicly available as a version of cmake
without the documentation dependencies?  I believe the only thing
preventing this is the hidden flag inherited from cmake-bootstrap.

* Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-04-01 20:02 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-04-01 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hiller, guix-devel; +Cc: piotr.krol

On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 13:17 -0400, Tom Hiller wrote:
> Could cmake-minimal be made publicly available as a version of cmake
> without the documentation dependencies?  I believe the only thing
> preventing this is the hidden flag inherited from cmake-bootstrap.

Technically, yes, but why?  What's the use case you have in mind?

* Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-04-01 20:36   ` Tom Hiller
From: Tom Hiller @ 2021-04-01 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, guix-devel; +Cc: piotr.krol

I am using it with pack and the minimal requirement the size down but
also prevents a large number of dependencies from being pulled in when
building from source.  I attached the dependency graphviz dot to
illustrate, the resulting png is roughly 7mb.  This is only for cmake.

On 4/1/21 4:02 PM, Maxime Devos wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 13:17 -0400, Tom Hiller wrote:
>> Could cmake-minimal be made publicly available as a version of cmake
>> without the documentation dependencies?  I believe the only thing
>> preventing this is the hidden flag inherited from cmake-bootstrap.
> Technically, yes, but why?  What's the use case you have in mind?

[-- Attachment #2: cmake.dot --]
[-- Type: application/msword-template, Size: 45261 bytes --]

* Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-04-02  8:52     ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-04-02  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hiller, guix-devel; +Cc: piotr.krol

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 16:36 -0400, Tom Hiller wrote:
> I am using it with pack

I assume as "guix pack cmake other-package ..."?
This seems a valid use case, although there is a
case to be made to only make the ‘fully capable’
packages visible.

In any case, you can work around this with

  guix pack -e '(@ (gnu packages cmake) cmake-minimal)' other-package ...

This works for any exported package.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-04-02 16:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-04-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hiller; +Cc: guix-devel, piotr.krol

Hi Tom,

Tom Hiller <thrilleratplay@gmail.com> skribis:

> I am using it with pack and the minimal requirement the size down but
> also prevents a large number of dependencies from being pulled in when
> building from source.

The latter is true and makes sense to me, but note that both take about
the same amount of space:

$ guix size $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages cmake) cmake-minimal)')|tail -1
total: 215.1 MiB
$ guix size cmake | tail -1
total: 217.8 MiB

The two are functionally equivalent (same run-time dependencies), which
I guess is the reason why ‘cmake-minimal’ isn’t public, unlike other
“-minimal” variants.

Ludo’.

* Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
@ 2021-04-02 17:11       ` Tom Hiller
From: Tom Hiller @ 2021-04-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, piotr.krol

That is fair.  Thank you,