unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: branch master updated: gnu: sbcl: Update to 2.1.4.
       [not found] <20210501115326.31478.20737@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-05-02  3:23 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-05-02  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 07:53:26AM -0400, guix-commits@gnu.org wrote:
> commit c04dfb39f62f764b1c3988d9b0fcedc8221afa67
> Author: Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz>
> AuthorDate: Sat May 1 13:53:09 2021 +0200
>
>     gnu: sbcl: Update to 2.1.4.
>
>     * gnu/packages/lisp.scm (sbcl): Update to 2.1.4.

Hi Pierre,

I noticed this evaluation had a lot of queued builds:

https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/29613

It's based on the SBCL update:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c04dfb39f62f764b1c3988d9b0fcedc8221afa67

`guix refresh -l sbcl` shows "Building the following 221 packages would
ensure 988 dependent packages are rebuilt [...]"

Remember, the rebuild limit for the master branch is 300 rebuilds,
according to item 8 of the manual section Submitting Patches:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

Sometimes it's fine to go over the limit a little bit, especially for
packages that are cheap to build, but SBCL packages are pretty
expensive.

If we do want to be able to update SBCL on the master branch, please
coordinate it in advance. The aarch64 builders, which are mostly
emulated on x86_64 machines, cannot build SBCL [0], and we need to
cancel those derivations manually, or they'll spend weeks repeatedly
failing to build it. Maybe we should just disable SBCL on aarch64 until
the build farm can build it reliably?

The build farm seems to have mostly built the derivations now (aside
from aarch64), so there's no action required at this point.

Leo

[0] <https://bugs.gnu.org/45826>

* Re: branch master updated: gnu: sbcl: Update to 2.1.4.
@ 2021-05-02  9:57   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-05-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Leo,

Indeed, as far as I can remember we've always updated SBCL directly on
master, because it's one of those exceptions.

> `guix refresh -l sbcl` shows "Building the following 221 packages would
> ensure 988 dependent packages are rebuilt [...]"

Note that most of these packages are "cl-*" packages, which effectively
just copy the source code of SBCL packages.  They don't compile anything.

> Remember, the rebuild limit for the master branch is 300 rebuilds,
> according to item 8 of the manual section Submitting Patches:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
>
> Sometimes it's fine to go over the limit a little bit, especially for
> packages that are cheap to build, but SBCL packages are pretty
> expensive.

In my experience it is indeed one of theses cases where it's fine to go
over the limit, because beside the check phase of very few packages
(sbcl-lparallel and sbcl-ironclad come to mind), most SBCL packages
build in an instant.

The whole set of Lisp packages builds in a few minutes on my machine.

What do you think?  Do you think it would still be wiser to update on
staging instead?

What do you mean with "coordinate it in advance"?  Is there a better way
to handle the process?

> The aarch64 builders, which are mostly emulated on x86_64 machines,
> cannot build SBCL [0], and we need to cancel those derivations
> manually, or they'll spend weeks repeatedly failing to build it. Maybe
> we should just disable SBCL on aarch64 until the build farm can build
> it reliably?

Sure thing, but I'm not an aarch64 user so maybe someone else would like
to comment about this.
Thoughts, anyone?

Otherwise I can remove aarch64 from the list of supported systems in the
SBCL package.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: branch master updated: gnu: sbcl: Update to 2.1.4.
@ 2021-05-02 14:52     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-05-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel