unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14  1:34 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-12-14  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
uploading any further work there :-).

A tentative release preparation branch 'version-1.4.0' was then created
from master, where release-specific enhancements can go.  Things broken
on master as it stands should be fixed there, and we can cherry pick
these fixes into the release branch.

That's it!  Enjoy the latest additions and improvements, and report any
issues you encounter!

Thank you,

Maxim

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14  4:30 ` Timothy Sample
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Timothy Sample @ 2021-12-14  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
> finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
> uploading any further work there :-).
>
> [...]
>
> That's it!  Enjoy the latest additions and improvements, and report any
> issues you encounter!
>
> Thank you,

Thank you Maxim!  I really appreciate the extra work you put in to get
this finished.  It was not an easy process, but your energy really kept
things moving.  I’ve been a happy c-u-f user for a while now, and the
updates are really terrific!

Here’s hoping the next one will be a little easier.  :)

-- Tim

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14  6:26 ` zimoun
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: zimoun @ 2021-12-14  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

Hi,

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 20:34, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
> finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
> uploading any further work there :-).
>
> A tentative release preparation branch 'version-1.4.0' was then created
> from master, where release-specific enhancements can go.  Things broken
> on master as it stands should be fixed there, and we can cherry pick
> these fixes into the release branch.

Double yeah! \o/

Thanks for all involved to make it happen.

About the release, what is the draft schedule?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14  7:31 ` Mathieu Othacehe
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-12-14  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey,

> That's it!  Enjoy the latest additions and improvements, and report any
> issues you encounter!

That's great news! Thanks to all the people that have been involved and
special thanks to you Maxim for your commitment.

Mathieu

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-14 13:16 ` Josselin Poiret
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2021-12-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel; +Cc: dev

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
> finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
> uploading any further work there :-).

Great work and thanks for coordinating it!  Thanks also to everyone who
contributed :)

> A tentative release preparation branch 'version-1.4.0' was then created
> from master, where release-specific enhancements can go.  Things broken
> on master as it stands should be fixed there, and we can cherry pick
> these fixes into the release branch.

What exactly would those "release-specific enhancements" be?

Best,
Josselin Poiret

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14 14:20   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-12-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

Hi Josselin,

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 14:24, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> wrote:

> What exactly would those "release-specific enhancements" be?

Basically,

- Fix important bugs and/or blocking ones (I do not know if there are
many today).  And previous release, a "release" bug had been opened to
collect them.
- Make sure that all work as expected: test installers etc.
- String freeze for documentation updates.  Let the time for translators.
- Update changelog / NEWS
- Write blog post

Cheers,
simon

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-14 15:42 ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2021-12-14 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Congratulations, everyone!

I love Guix, and I really appreciate all the work that everyone puts into it. I'm updating now :)

Sincerely,
--
Katherine

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-14 19:25     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-12-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

> Hi Josselin,
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 14:24, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> wrote:
>
>> What exactly would those "release-specific enhancements" be?
>
> Basically,
>
> - Fix important bugs and/or blocking ones (I do not know if there are
> many today).  And previous release, a "release" bug had been opened to
> collect them.
> - Make sure that all work as expected: test installers etc.
> - String freeze for documentation updates.  Let the time for translators.
> - Update changelog / NEWS
> - Write blog post

Yes, this, and I was also thinking the occasional change that'd cause
too many rebuilds for master, such as fixing up sitecustomize.py [0]
that basically triggers a world rebuild if we want to ship it in the
next release.  We could batch others as well; I know that bumping our
xorg package to the recently released 1.7.3 would be nice to fix the
spurious warnings.  [1]

[0]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52269
[1]  https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2021-December/003120.html

Thanks all for the great collaboration that went into readying
core-updates-frozen for the merge! :-)

Maxim

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-15 21:22 ` Thiago Jung Bauermann
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann @ 2021-12-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer

Hello!

Em segunda-feira, 13 de dezembro de 2021, às 22:34:34 -03, Maxim Cournoyer
escreveu:
> Hello Guix!
>
> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
> finally merged into master.

Hooray! Thank you very much to everyone who made this happen! I really
appreciate the effort. The master branch is working great for me.

Thiago

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-20 17:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-12-20 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
> finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
> uploading any further work there :-).

I’m late to the party, but that’s because I’ve been contemplating my
updated Guixes for a week.  Thumbs up everyone and Maxim in particular
for getting it past the finish line!

That makes me wonder: do we even have a list of all the big changes that
made it into this branch?  Would be nice to come up with a summary.

Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
@ 2021-12-22  3:48   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-12-22  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> In case you hadn't taken notice, the core-update-frozen branch was
>> finally merged into master.  So please reconfigure your remotes to avoid
>> uploading any further work there :-).
>
> I’m late to the party, but that’s because I’ve been contemplating my
> updated Guixes for a week.  Thumbs up everyone and Maxim in particular
> for getting it past the finish line!

Thank you!  I wasn't alone :-) We have motivated and skilled hackers
going as far as swapping hard drives in their laptop to reproduce hard
to debug problems like in [0], which is amazing!  Thanks to all who are
debugging and fixing things, it helps tremendously (in many ways,
including keeping in good spirits!)

> That makes me wonder: do we even have a list of all the big changes that
> made it into this branch?  Would be nice to come up with a summary.

I have a couple of changes on top of my head; I intend to lay them down
in NEWS as soon as the version-1.4.0 branch I've been refining with more
integrated bits and last minute updates is ready for one last
(hopefully) big rebuild.  For sure I'll have to survey the git log as
I'm sure I've lost track of many great things that went in also.

Thanks,

Maxim

[0]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52051