unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Repology and outdated packages
@ 2022-06-07 18:39 kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2022-06-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guix,

I've been watching the Repology page for Guix and I've noticed that we've dropped to 51% outdated packages [https://repology.org/repository/gnuguix]. We used to be at 40% outdated packages a few months ago.

I know that rolling release distros don't have to have the latest packages but this is not the best representation of Guix, especially when our friend NixOS claims they have the largest and most updated package collection [https://nixos.org/blog/announcements.html#nixos-22.05].

So without demanding more maintainer time, for now I just convince myself that:
- key toolchains such as Rust and Go are not always up to date, thus blocking the upgrade of several packages
- we package their dependencies separately (eg Rust crates, Go modules), these are a significant portion of Guix that cannot be constantly updated easily
- the Guix 1.4 release is coming soon so more time may be spent debugging that instead of updating the package archives
- the Guix branching model of staging/core-updates means we could say Guix is an LTS rolling release distro, which there aren't that many of

However I hope that faster package reviews can mean we stay updated faster without compromising package quality.

WDYT?