unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* A Few Packaging Questions
@ 2022-08-05  2:50 Christopher Rodriguez
From: Christopher Rodriguez @ 2022-08-05  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello All,

1. Is there a way to call non-exported procedures from a module in
Guile?

I am looking to solve the non-determinism in one of the above-submitted
packages (dbqn), and per https://github.com/dzaima/BQN/issues/14 it
seems the issue is timestamps in jarfiles, which ant-build-system
handles in its strip-jar-timestamps procedure. I'd like to call that
procedure from that module rather than copy it into the bqn.scm module,
but I can't build the package with ant, so I'm looking for a way to call
it without switching systems.

2. Is there a list of variables accessible using gexps somewhere, or
some source code I might be able to glean the same information from?

I have just discovered #$output as a somewhat useful tool, and I'm
currently looking to learn more ahead of when I might need them.

3. What is the canonical way in the new input system to reference a
specific output of a package?

I first learned `("label" ,package "output"), and I've seen `(,package
"output") in the devel version of the manual, but when I recently did a
guix lint on some package definitions that used `(,openjdk "jdk") I got
a warning:

label 'openjdk' does not match package name 'openjdk:jdk'

I want to make sure I am doing things the "most correct" way, so I
figured I'd ask here.

Thank You for taking the time to read my questions, and I hope You have
a great day!

--

Christopher Rodriguez