unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
	distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Cc: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>,
	 Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com>
Subject: Re: Implementing the guix-dameon in Guile
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:13:48 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi!

Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 9:29 AM Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:
>>
>> Rewrites are risky because you only get the value right at the end,
>> therefore the priority is to get a minimal but viable implementation in
>> Guile that can be switched to
>
> Sounds exciting! I would like to help with testing.

Indeed, congrats for securing the NLnet founding (and thanks to them!).

> The transformation toward a Guile daemon is a point of consistency and
> pride for the project and therefore unlikely to be second-guessed or
> reverted. My recommendation is to replace the daemon gradually—working
> from (apply system* (command-line) downward—and mainline your
> incremental changes as quickly as possible.

I had some musing about the daemon recently; I was thinking libguile
could be added to our old C++ daemon, which could then replace its
functions piece-wise with Scheme implemented ones?

At the end, we'd have almost everything in Scheme, at which point we
could rewrite the main loop to Scheme and say farewell to the old
daemon.

Would that approach makes any sense?  I know of at least one C++ project
integrating libguile, and that's the jami-daemon, so it could perhaps
provide some clues as to how to proceed to do so.

Thanks for the great initiative!

Maxim