Hi everyone, Edouard Klein writes: > I think my misunderstanding boils down to a bad mental model of how guix > works. > > What I imagine the "Computing guix derivation" step to be is no > different than building a package whose inputs are the channels' > sources, guile, and the current guix, and whose output is the new guix. > > Simon and Richard pointed out that the combinatorial combination of all > possible input combination makes this hard to substitute, but I don't > understand how its result, once in the store, can't lead to a simple > linking from the profile to the store, instead of re-running the > "Computing guix derivation" step when guix pull is called with the same > inputs. > > Surely my mental model is wrong somehow ? You might be interested in this thread [1], which tries to explain the terrible performance of `guix pull`. [1] mid:87wmxe3vsa.fsf@jpoiret.xyz https://yhetil.org/guix/87wmxe3vsa.fsf@jpoiret.xyz/ Best, -- Josselin Poiret