Jonathan Brielmaier writes: > On 12.07.20 03:44, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote: >> Commit 6680880f9b8dceb4f2f3f91bd2b13c659b53835e pushed out a new version >> of Guix, and it looks like it wasn't possible to build new systems from >> that because the filename for the "Berlin ACL key" changed. (Or at >> least, I couldn't run "guix system vm".) >> >> I pushed out a "fix" for this. I hope it's ok. > > Thanks for the fix. > > As I ran into all those little errors with `guix pull` this week-end, I > wonder if we can do better. This particular change broke 'guix system', not 'guix pull'. Which is equally bad of course, but a different kind of beast entirely. Are you referring to something else? > So maybe some pre-checkin CI which tests that a commit/commit series > doesn't break `guix pull`. What do you think? Is this doable? > I find those little errors pretty annoying as they seem to be avoidable > through technical counter measures... One possible solution that has been discussed before is to have the CI continously merge master to a 'stable' branch when lights are green. There are quite a few challenges to solve with that approach though. We could make the pre-push hook run 'guix pull' and 'guix system build' but it will quickly get annoying. A server-side hook for the same would be less annoying, but would have a hard time if someone accidentally pushes a full rebuild. In practice there will always be problems that cannot be caught in an automated way. I hope such breakages are rare, but from your message it sounds like there were many problems just this week-end?