Hi, The Guix manual recommends running nscd: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html However, Fedora intends to remove it: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveNSCD The document says: "The hosts cache will automatically be replaced by the one provided by systemd-resolved. However, in order to restore caching functionality for other caches provided by nscd, the system administrator will need to install and/or configure sssd (by enabling sssd with authconfig, and editing /etc/sssd/sssd.conf to enable it to work with nss)." This poses a problem for people who use Fedora, like myself. I tried to set up sssd on my Fedora machine, but I couldn't get it to work. Let's take a step back. Why does the Guix manual recommend using nscd? The Guix manual explains why in the link above. To rephrase the manual, my understanding is that if nscd is available, then a program using glibc will "try to use nscd" first. However, if nscd is not available, then the program will attempt to dlopen shared objects, and in some cases the program might dlopen an incompatible shared object from the foreign distro (e.g., libnss_*.so files on Fedora, which may be incompatible with the glibc used by a program that Guix built). The Fedora document explains that at least the hosts cache will be handled by systemd-resolved. Can I expect Guix-built programs to "try to use systemd" when resolving host names, or is additional configuration likely to be required? Regarding sssd specifically, how can I arrange for a Guix-built program to "try to use sssd" first? I know that the specific steps for how to do this on Fedora might be different from other systems. For example, maybe on Fedora there is some fancy authselect/authconfig thing you can do to configure everything more easily. That's fine, and I will figure out what to do at a higher level as needed. However, for now I just want to know the very basics: fundamentally, what configuration needs to exist in order to ensure that Guix-built programs will "use" sssd, in the same way that they would "use" nscd? I want to avoid the kind of problems that the manual discusses, but I want to do it with sssd. I believe this will require changes to /etc/nsswitch.conf, as well as configuration for sssd. Anything else? I have never written sssd configuration files, and the sssd manual was not very approachable for me, so I'm starting from essentially zero knowledge about sssd. It seems rather complex. Has anyone tried setting up sssd and configuring nsswitch to use it, in order to avoid the kinds of issues that the Guix manual discusses? Any tips would be welcome. Maybe I should just switch back to Guix System and avoid this headache, but I think there are lots of people out there who use Fedora, so it would be good for Guix adoption if we can have a recommended solution ready for people who are curious to try Guix on Fedora. -- Chris PGP: https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=106836