unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-01-09 10:54 Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-01-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi guix reviewers and committers,

WDYT of tagging reviewed patches that look good with a usertag,
e.g. 'reviewed-looks-good':

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?tag=reviewed-looks-good&users=guix

then if a committer doesn't have much time to review and hence doesn't
subscribe to guix-patches@, but they do trust the reviewer, they can visit
that URL to look for reviewed patches that can be applied.

There could also be a tag 'reviewed-looks-good2' if the patch appears ok
to two reviewers, or a 'reviewed-needs-work', etc.

Greetings,
Maxime.

-- how to set the usertag:

user guix
usertags 53119 reviewed-looks-good
thanks

* Re: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-01-11 19:10 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2022-01-11 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 11:54:25AM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote:
> Hi guix reviewers and committers,
>
> WDYT of tagging reviewed patches that look good with a usertag,
> e.g. 'reviewed-looks-good':
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?tag=reviewed-looks-good&users=guix
>
> then if a committer doesn't have much time to review and hence doesn't
> subscribe to guix-patches@, but they do trust the reviewer, they can visit
> that URL to look for reviewed patches that can be applied.
>
> There could also be a tag 'reviewed-looks-good2' if the patch appears ok
> to two reviewers, or a 'reviewed-needs-work', etc.

This is a great idea. I guess we will need to adjust the software that
runs issues.guix.gnu.org to make use of it, but in the meantime you
should keep using this tag. Thanks!

* Re: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-02-02 13:58   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-02-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 11:54:25AM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote:
>> Hi guix reviewers and committers,
>>
>> WDYT of tagging reviewed patches that look good with a usertag,
>> e.g. 'reviewed-looks-good':
>>
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?tag=reviewed-looks-good&users=guix
>>
>> then if a committer doesn't have much time to review and hence doesn't
>> subscribe to guix-patches@, but they do trust the reviewer, they can visit
>> that URL to look for reviewed patches that can be applied.
>>
>> There could also be a tag 'reviewed-looks-good2' if the patch appears ok
>> to two reviewers, or a 'reviewed-needs-work', etc.
>
> This is a great idea. I guess we will need to adjust the software that
> runs issues.guix.gnu.org to make use of it, but in the meantime you
> should keep using this tag. Thanks!

I like it as well.

Maxim

* Re: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-02-15 12:23     ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2022-02-15 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi guix,

It sounds like a good idea, but ISTM we don't need yet another markup syntax
if emacs org mode already defines a useful standard that can be adopted.

The advantage to org mode style [0] -- in commit commentary as well as tags
would be its scrapability -- i.e., ease of writing an extractor/formatter
for handy report snippets/pages and web stuff etc., whether implemented
using foreign shell or within guix.

[0] http://xahlee.info/emacs/emacs/emacs_org_markup.html

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-02-15 16:23       ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-02-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Richter, Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

Bengt Richter schreef op di 15-02-2022 om 13:23 [+0100]:
> Hi guix,
>
> It sounds like a good idea, but ISTM we don't need yet another markup syntax
> if emacs org mode already defines a useful standard that can be adopted.
>
> The advantage to org mode style [0] -- in commit commentary as well as tags
> would be its scrapability -- i.e., ease of writing an extractor/formatter
> for handy report snippets/pages and web stuff etc., whether implemented
> using foreign shell or within guix.

FYI, I think you responded to the wrong thread.  This thread was about
additional usertags in debbugs for reviewing in Guix, not about markup
languages or org mode.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?
@ 2022-03-21  8:47         ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2022-03-21  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

tl;dr: Sleep deprivation ;-/  SFTN

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Debbugs usertags with Mumi or Emacs (was: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?)
@ 2022-05-03 11:03   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-03 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Maxime Devos, Arun Isaac, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

I am late to the party. :-)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 14:10, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> This is a great idea. I guess we will need to adjust the software that
> runs issues.guix.gnu.org to make use of it, but in the meantime you
> should keep using this tag. Thanks!

Indeed, Mumi does not expose such user tags.  Well, it could be very
useful if such tags would be available via GraphQL requests.

Arun, Ricardo, do you think it is affordable?

Then, I am confused by getting these usertags from Emacs Debbugs.
Especially, I run:

    M-x debbugs-gnu-usertags

then select the line, say «guix          reviewed-looks-good», and I get
all the submissions, even the closed ones.  And I do not find a way to
filter only the still ones.  How do other Emacs users do?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Debbugs usertags with Mumi or Emacs (was: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?)
@ 2022-05-03 16:10     ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-05-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Leo Famulari, Arun Isaac, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

zimoun schreef op di 03-05-2022 om 13:03 [+0200]:
> then select the line, say «guix          reviewed-looks-good», and I get
> all the submissions, even the closed ones.  And I do not find a way to
> filter only the still ones.  How do other Emacs users do?

Something to keep in mind: I've been somewhat inconsistent in using the
reviewed-looks-good tag or the reviewed tag + the looks-good tag.
I use the debbugs interface at
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?tag=looks-good;tag=reviewed-looks-good&users=guix>
-- it puts the open issues before the closed issues.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Debbugs usertags with Mumi or Emacs (was: Assisting reviewing & committing with tags?)
@ 2022-05-03 17:39     ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2022-05-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Leo Famulari, Maxime Devos, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi zimoun,

>> This is a great idea. I guess we will need to adjust the software that
>> runs issues.guix.gnu.org to make use of it, but in the meantime you
>> should keep using this tag. Thanks!
>
> Indeed, Mumi does not expose such user tags.  Well, it could be very
> useful if such tags would be available via GraphQL requests.
>
> Arun, Ricardo, do you think it is affordable?

I haven't explored debbugs' usertags closely yet, and I'm not sure how
exactly it works. But, usertags are certainly the way to go
forward.

Maybe, a quick way to start would be to start setting usertags through
the existing debbugs email interface, and getting mumi to display them
at https://issues.guix.gnu.org

Cheers,
Arun