unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: 01/04: gnu: libtorrent-rasterbar: Update to 2.0.10.
       [not found] ` <20241006090321.C8D6A1C1D84@vcs3.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2024-10-06 17:52   ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-10-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

guix-commits@gnu.org writes:

> z572 pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository guix.
>
> commit 37dede4c4d8c25a786f2a2e2a17ba54b4ba6283f
> Author: Adam Faiz via Guix-patches via <guix-patches@gnu.org>
> AuthorDate: Tue Aug 6 21:07:40 2024 +0800

I have to admit I am not very happy regarding the change in the commit
author.  While I understand the change itself might have been somewhat
trivial, I did work with upstream to merge the required changes for
2.0.10, so having the authorship stolen like this leaves somewhat
unpleasant feeling.

Especially since applying for commit access has a number of commits as
one of prerequisites, having your address visible in `git log --author'
goes from "collecting internet points" into "actually somewhat
important".  But even without that, I would still consider it not a nice
thing to do.

Have a nice day,
Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 01/04: gnu: libtorrent-rasterbar: Update to 2.0.10.
@ 2024-10-06 18:16     ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-10-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Tomas,

On Sun, Oct 06 2024, Tomas Volf wrote:

> Especially since applying for commit access has a number of commits as
> one of prerequisites

Actually, you are lucky.  They don't accept my commits at all.  I'd just
let it go.

Kind regards
Felix

* [bug#69276] 01/04: gnu: libtorrent-rasterbar: Update to 2.0.10.
@ 2024-10-06 19:15     ` John Kehayias via Guix-patches via
From: John Kehayias via Guix-patches via @ 2024-10-06 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Volf, guix-devel; +Cc: 69276, Z572, Adam Faiz

Dear Tomas (and CC'ing the debbugs number, co-author, and committer Z572),

On Sun, Oct 06, 2024 at 07:52 PM, Tomas Volf wrote:

> guix-commits@gnu.org writes:
>
>> z572 pushed a commit to branch master
>> in repository guix.
>>
>> commit 37dede4c4d8c25a786f2a2e2a17ba54b4ba6283f
>> Author: Adam Faiz via Guix-patches via <guix-patches@gnu.org>
>> AuthorDate: Tue Aug 6 21:07:40 2024 +0800
>
> I have to admit I am not very happy regarding the change in the commit
> author.  While I understand the change itself might have been somewhat
> trivial, I did work with upstream to merge the required changes for
> 2.0.10, so having the authorship stolen like this leaves somewhat
> unpleasant feeling.

I understand your frustration and while I thank you for bringing this to attention (we care about attribution here!), I do think this was escalated a tiny bit in the heat of the moment. I don't see this message in the original patch thread with the other author (Adam) and committer (Z572, still relatively new), so it is quite possible they didn't see this message you sent until now.

I should say, I do think it is good to raise awareness so we can all do better, but I think we should try to give some benefit of the doubt and look for the best way forward. Mistakes happen! I had accidentally lost the author of some commits and realized after I had pushed them, raising this after with guix-devel and the original authors for what remedy they would like. Though everything was okay, I felt bad, and still do, but at least it has made me more vigilant. Let's remember we are all trying our best here and imagine ourselves on the other side.

(Side note that upstream work to help out Guix and packaging is always welcome, so thank you for that! Though that is separate from authorship of commits on the Guix side, of course.)

> Especially since applying for commit access has a number of commits as
> one of prerequisites, having your address visible in `git log --author'
> goes from "collecting internet points" into "actually somewhat
> important".  But even without that, I would still consider it not a nice
> thing to do.

Part of having commit access is also accepting that mistakes will happen and you are expected to remedy, learn, and help us all do better (e.g. see <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Commit-Access.html>). This quality I would say is much more important than just number of contributions, though that experience is a more quantifiable prerequisite.

As I hope a neutral third party, in this case I would suggest reverting the commits and then reapplying them with author/co-author set appropriately. I think this issue should have been brought up more directly with the parties involved, whether or not cc-ing guix-devel helps here I can't say. As I said, I at least take it as a reminder of our responsibilities and potential mistakes when we have commit access. While I could of course take this action myself, in following the link above, I leave it to those involved first.

> Have a nice day,
> Tomas

Let me also thank you for your contributions! I look forward to one day seeing you announced as a new committer as you continue to contribute. But I hope when you are on that side and make a mistake, as we all do, that you are given the benefit of the doubt, a chance to rectify, and help us all do better.

John

PS: I know tone is hard and easily (wrongly) assumed in written communication. Let me stress that all I wrote was meant to be understanding to your perspective and feelings (which I'm sure many would share in the same circumstances!) while also helping us reach a mutually beneficial remedy.

* Re: 01/04: gnu: libtorrent-rasterbar: Update to 2.0.10.
@ 2024-10-06 22:02       ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-10-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: guix-devel, 69276, Z572, Adam Faiz