unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Online hackathon ?
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:53:53 +0200	[thread overview]

Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com> skribis:

> On 08/28/2013 03:02 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> skribis:

>>> I like the idea.  I think there should be a low-hanging-fruit-list, so
>>> people won’t lose focus.  What should be packaged that’s not too tricky
>>> for newcomers?
>>
>> I think there’s a verrrrry large choice of things to package ;-), so we
>> can let people choose.  Then savvy people can tell them whether it’s
>> going to be too difficult, etc.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

> People at the GHM knew what they wanted to package. I know Amirouche
> (who's been on #guix for a few weeks) was trying to package
> skribilo. I think we should let them package what they want.

Yes.  (BTW, I have a stash with Skribilo...)

> It'd be great to decide what __we__ should package for the next
> release, though :)

My opinion is that we first want packages that improve usability for the
typical hacker.  That’s what has been guiding part of my packaging
activity, and now most of what I use daily comes from Guix.

The second thing is GNU packages.  Some of the trickier but more
interesting include TeXmacs, Octave, and R, for instance.

The third category is big software collections: GNOME, GNUstep, XFCE,
KDE, etc.

Thoughts?

(I’ll write more about what other things I’d like to see in the next
release separately.)

Ludo’.