unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* polkit & udisks
@ 2015-11-01 17:04 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

Commit 222e331 changes ‘polkit-service-type’ so that other services can
extend it with new polkit “actions” and “rules,” which colord and
elogind do.

Commit 2b9e0a9 adds UDisks to ‘%desktop-services’.  Now, one can run
things like:

  udisksctl status
  udisksctl mount -b /dev/foo

Hopefully GUIs (Xfce?) automatically detect things like USB keys that
are inserted and might even be able to mount/unmount them (though I
think that, since this is restricted to people sitting at the computer,
and since we don’t use pam_elogind yet, that only works for ‘root’ ATM.)

Anyway, I would be glad if desktop-savvy people could report back!

This addresses some of the problems that Andy identified when adding
polkit and friends this summer, which led to the service refactoring.
So it sort of closes the loop.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: polkit & udisks
@ 2015-11-03 11:54 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2015-11-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Wow that's great!  Thank you Ludo :)  Next stop, pam_elogind and then we
can maybe get gnome-session working :)  Thanks again for the service
refactorings!

Andy

On Sun 01 Nov 2015 17:04, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> Commit 222e331 changes ‘polkit-service-type’ so that other services can
> extend it with new polkit “actions” and “rules,” which colord and
> elogind do.
>
> Commit 2b9e0a9 adds UDisks to ‘%desktop-services’.  Now, one can run
> things like:
>
>   udisksctl status
>   udisksctl mount -b /dev/foo
>
> Hopefully GUIs (Xfce?) automatically detect things like USB keys that
> are inserted and might even be able to mount/unmount them (though I
> think that, since this is restricted to people sitting at the computer,
> and since we don’t use pam_elogind yet, that only works for ‘root’ ATM.)
>
> Anyway, I would be glad if desktop-savvy people could report back!
>
> This addresses some of the problems that Andy identified when adding
> polkit and friends this summer, which led to the service refactoring.
> So it sort of closes the loop.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: polkit & udisks
@ 2015-11-03 14:12   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-03 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guix-devel

Andy Wingo <wingo@igalia.com> skribis:

> Wow that's great!  Thank you Ludo :)  Next stop, pam_elogind and then we
> can maybe get gnome-session working :)  Thanks again for the service
> refactorings!

And thanks for explaining how all the pieces fit together; this was key!

Ludo’.