Leo Famulari writes: > On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 10:02:35PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote: >> Leo, >> >> On 27/11/16 21:56, Leo Famulari wrote: >> > Will this work on nachines that don't support SSE? My understanding is >> > that we don't wish to require it. >> >> Why wouldn't it? >> >> I don't often use Icecat, but when I do... I don't see why it would >> require SSE by default. ;-) And it's not like we ever patched it to use >> IJG's libjpeg to begin with. > > I'm not sure, but the comment seems to indicate that we don't want to > use it: > > ;; According to > ;; http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/ , > ;; "libjpeg-turbo is a derivative of libjpeg that > ;; uses MMX, SSE, SSE2, and NEON SIMD instructions > ;; to accelerate baseline JPEG compression/ > ;; decompression", so we had better not use it SSE is pentium III, and SSE2 was introduced in Pentium IV. MMX is even older. Are we really committed to supporting 15+ year old hardware? The NEON SIMD instruction seems to be ARM-specific and is available at least on Cortex A8, which is an ARMv7 design.