Danny Milosavljevic writes: > dbus is an object-oriented inter-process-communication mechanism. Wow, awesome overview! Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I've always wondered how it was supposed to fit together. > I wonder why it works with the GNOME desktop. Does it really? What is "it"? What works with GNOME desktop, which you expect does not? I use GNOME on GuixSD. For what it's worth, after I've logged into my GNOME session, if I open up a GNOME Terminal, run "dbus-monitor", and then launch Evince (from the application search menu), I do see a flurry of activity related to Evince, so I think it's connecting to the session bus (dbus-monitor monitors the session bus by default, apparently). Regarding the lack of a "back" button in Evince, I do see one, and it does seem to work. The button looks like a "<" symbol. -- Chris