Ludovic Courtès writes: > That said, I understand your concern. What about changing the message > to: > > You might need to run: > > . …/etc/profile > > Alternately, you can define the following environment variables: > > … > > Too verbose? Confusing? Personally I like what you've proposed. On a related note, I dislike that the suggestions do not include absolute paths. I don't want to put "my-profile/bin" in my PATH; I usually want to put "$(pwd)/my-profile/bin" on my path. If you follow the suggestions when using relative paths, things break as soon as you cd somewhere else. -- Chris