Hi, Robert and Pierre, Robert Vollmert writes: >> On 30. Jun 2019, at 20:01, Pierre Neidhardt wrote: >> >> Hi Robert! >> >> `guix search` and other user-facing tools ignore non-exported >> packages. >> >> So you can simply use `define` instead of `define-public` to declare >> a package. > > Good point, but that breaks down once a library is used by a package > outside that module. E.g. consider the various ghc-* packages. Running > “guix search clock” returns `ghc-clock` and `ocaml-mtime`. The first > needs to be public since it’s used elsewhere, the second is defined as > public anyway. Should that change? I took a shot at packaging bettercap[1] this weekend but decided to finish it later after realizing how many dependencies would need to be packaged... Ah, how I long for a 'go' importer. But since we're having this conversation now, I'd like to ask: does it make sense to use 'define-public' for dependencies like that? I'd be adding a lot of 'go-github-com-...' packages like those in 'gnu/packages/syncthing.scm'. [1]: https://www.bettercap.org/ Regards, Jakob