unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
To: Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Compile skribilo doc containing guix channel references
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 12:36:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> skribis:

> The idea is that the guix channel repo will contain a skb file which can
> then reference code in the channel by setting the source-path and then
> using the :definition in the source function to reference bits of the
> package I want to talk about in my document.
>
> (source :language [:tab 8] [:definition] [:stop] [:start] [:file])
>
> This works really well, but it got me thinking - what would be even
> cooler would be if I could import modules in my channel and actually
> execute channel functions to generate document output as part of the
> document compilation process, rather than just display the package code!

I like that.  :-)

We toyed with Skribilo/Guix integration in this paper:

  https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01161771/en
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/reppar-2015/reproducible-hpc.skb

(Note that it starts with ugly ‘%load-path’ hacks.  :-))

> Normally when scripting for guix you'd avoid the above problem by using
> 'guix repl -- some-script.scm' but here I'm using the skribilo
> executable, *not* guix as the entry point - it's not entirely clear to me
> how to get the required guix modules onto my load path?

I would suggest using your own script, executed with ‘guix repl’,
instead of the ‘skribilo’ executable.  Something like you describe in
your second message looks good!

Thanks,
Ludo’.