Christopher Baines writes: >> It would be tempting to turn off grafts in this case. But then, ‘guix >> pull’ would always give us an ungrafted Guix, which is undesirable. For >> the purposes of the Data Service though, you could consider turning off >> grafts globally. > > I get that not applying grafts to guix could be undesirable, but I'm > still don't see why there aren't other options? > > What would be the implications of treating it like package grafting. As > in, you'd always build guix without grafts, then you'd apply the > grafting process to the ungrafted output? That would be more consistent > with the way it works for packages, and it would probably go all or some > of the way to resolve the issues for the Guix Data Service. I've actually surprised myself by making some quick progress on this. I think I see now why the current situation is not really anything more than the normal package grafting code applying to the computing of the guix derivation. I've sent some patches which seem to superficially work to [1]. 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61363 Thanks, Chris