unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Interest in Participating for GSoC '23
@ 2023-03-01  0:38 Sarthak Shah
From: Sarthak Shah @ 2023-03-01  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

Hello! I'm interested in contributing to the GNU Guix project through the
Google Summer of Code program.
My programming expertise mainly lies with Scheme, Common Lisp, Clojure and
C/C++, but I can also write code in other languages when needed.
Additionally, I have some experience as a system administrator of my
university's HPC system.
I am also the president of my college's equivalent of a GNU/Linux advocacy
group, through which I have organized and facilitated GNU/Linux
installation workshops to introduce my classmates and juniors to free
software.

I would love to work on a project utilizing GNU Guile if possible.
Of the projects listed on the website
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2023>, I found the following
interesting:
- Continued Rewrite of the Build Daemon in Guile
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2018#Continue_rewrite_build_daemon_in_Guile_Scheme>
(Mentors
mentioned: Ludovic (+ David, +...?))
 (If I understand correctly, this will be a continuation of reepca's work
in 2017
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-08/msg00267.html>)
- Guile-based build tool
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=Group:Guix/GSoC-2020#Guile_based_build-tool>
(Mentors
mentioned: Pjotr Prins and other Guix members)
- Guix Data Service revision processing instrumentation and performance
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2021#Project:_Guix_Data_Service_revision_processing_instrumentation_and_performance>
(Mentors
mentioned: Christopher Baines & Gábor Boskovits)
I understand that the mentors listed here may not necessarily be free to
mentor this year, however I would really appreciate getting to work on any
of these projects.

Apart from the listed projects, I'm also interested in having parameterized
packages
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00312.html> in
Guix.
Unlike most package managers, Guix is source-based and I believe that
parametrized packages would be a fine way to use that to Guix's advantage.

It's tradition for potential GSoC participants to help resolve issues
before applying in preparation for the actual task, so I would appreciate
suggestions on problems I could help with.
Additionally, a rough timeline of when I'd be expected to submit a draft
proposal would be appreciated.

Happy Hacking!
Sarthak
IRC nick: cel7t

* Re: Interest in Participating for GSoC '23
@ 2023-03-06 20:46 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-03-06 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarthak Shah; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Sarthak,

Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> skribis:

> Hello! I'm interested in contributing to the GNU Guix project through the
> Google Summer of Code program.
> My programming expertise mainly lies with Scheme, Common Lisp, Clojure and
> C/C++, but I can also write code in other languages when needed.
> Additionally, I have some experience as a system administrator of my
> university's HPC system.
> I am also the president of my college's equivalent of a GNU/Linux advocacy
> group, through which I have organized and facilitated GNU/Linux
> installation workshops to introduce my classmates and juniors to free
> software.

Nice, welcome!

> - Continued Rewrite of the Build Daemon in Guile
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2018#Continue_rewrite_build_daemon_in_Guile_Scheme>
> (Mentors
> mentioned: Ludovic (+ David, +...?))
>  (If I understand correctly, this will be a continuation of reepca's work
> in 2017
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-08/msg00267.html>)

I didn’t copy this project over to the GSoC-2023 page because at this
stage I’m no longer sure whether GSoC is the right way for the project
to make further progress on this.  I think developers in the community
already experienced with Guix internals and with Fibers will have to
dive in.

[...]

> Apart from the listed projects, I'm also interested in having parameterized
> packages
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00312.html> in
> Guix.

That’s a good idea.  If you can become familiar with the details, I can
co-mentor it—which means we’d need to find a co-mentor.  :-)

> It's tradition for potential GSoC participants to help resolve issues
> before applying in preparation for the actual task, so I would appreciate
> suggestions on problems I could help with.

I would suggest “poking around” generally speaking, which means first
installing it.  A good first contribution is often a package: one that
you’re missing, that needs an update, etc.

Then I’d encourage you to look more closely at the area you’re interest
in, for instance package transformations: there are a couple of open
issues at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org> that you might want to read, or
perhaps you’ll have ideas of new transformations to add?

Thanks for reaching out!

Ludo’.

* Re: Interest in Participating for GSoC '23
@ 2023-03-21 11:06   ` Sarthak Shah
From: Sarthak Shah @ 2023-03-21 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludovic,
Thank you for your suggestions!
I've decided to focus on parameterized packages for my GSoC Application.
Owing to mid semester exams, I have not been able to contribute much to
Guix up until recently, and as such my only contributions are a simple
patch and two packages. I am currently in the process of working on a
script similar to NixOS' command-not-found that relies on guix index (which
is yet to be merged).
I have four questions with regards to my application and I'd appreciate
answers from individuals in the mailing list;
1. Are there any specific issues I could work on to develop a better
understanding of package transformations and also prove my skills
2. What is expected from a project proposal
3. Is there a soft deadline for submitting the draft proposal
4. Would anyone here be interested in co-mentoring this project

Sincerely,
Sarthak (cel7t)

@ 2023-03-21 18:52     ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2023-03-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)