unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org, guile-user@gnu.org
Cc: Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com>
Subject: February hybrid Guix London meetup
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:40:04 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

The next Guix London meetup is scheduled for Monday 19th February, 6 pm
London time (i.e. UTC) onward. Join us in person or online. Address and
link are below.

- In person, from 6:00 pm: 20 Farringdon Street, EC4A 4AB
- Online, from 6:10 pm: https://meet.jit.si/london-guix-meetup

If you attend in person, please make sure you RSVP and share your full
name (or a nickname) so that we can register you at the building's
reception.

The main part of the meetup will be a talk on how to create custom Guix
packages or package variants, by Steve George a.k.a. Futurile. If you
have any Guix or Guile related question or topic, there should be the
time to talk about that too. All welcome! Talk abstract follows.

Guix Packaging: creating local package variants simply!

Just like Gentoo or Arch Linux, every package in Guix is
source-available, and can be built by the user. In this entry level talk
we'll look at how to customise Guix packages. Guix radically simplifies
the steps to building our own packages through its declarative and
functional approach. This makes building our own package variants very
accessible—opening up the possibilities for a user to:

- Keep applications up to the latest versions
- Try out upstream development versions
- Patch applications to add features
- Tune applications to their hardware

In this talk, Steve will share examples and introduce how to use Guix's
programming interface for package building. We'll also contextualise
where these capabilities sit in the journey of learning to package and
contribute packages to Guix.

# About

For any question, please get in touch via any of the following channels:

- Arun: arunisaac@systemreboot.net
- Fabio: me@fabionatali.com and https://octodon.social/@fabionatali

Guix London has no official ties with the Guix project. We commit to
promote the project and to always operate with the best intentions; any
mistake that we might make is due to us, Guix London, not the Guix
project.

# Code of conduct

We, Guix London's organisers, intend to create an open, friendly, and
safe environment where people from the most diverse backgrounds can get
together, learn about, teach, and discuss Guix and related topics in a
welcoming and constructive way.

To this end, Guix London adheres to the Guix project's official Code of
Conduct. Please make sure you familiarise with the document and that you
share its principles before attending our events.

Should you at any time before, during, or after one of our events want
to raise an issue or discuss any CoC-related topic, please do not
hesitate to reach out to the organisers at the contacts below.

- Arun Isaac, arunisaac@systemreboot.net
- Fabio Natali, me@fabionatali.com

# Get involved

Should you be interested in becoming a Guix London organiser, please let
us know. It'd be great to have you onboard. No previous Guix knowledge
is required. If you're interested (or simply want to know more), do not
hesitate to reach out to us!

Similarly, if you want to present on any Guix-related topic at one of
our events, that's also great. We'd love to hear from you.

Regards,
Arun