unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-05-31  6:08 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-05-31  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

in the next few months (from June to the end of October 2024) I won't
have much time for computers.  Unfortunately, this means that my
projects will stall unless some of you continue them.

There are only three important projects, and one unimportant project:

* maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.

  I used to update all of CRAN and Bioconductor with "./pre-inst-env
  guix refresh -t {cran,bioconductor} -u", fix the updated package
  definitions (e.g. to restore undeclared inputs for replacing minified
  JavaScript), check that all of them build, and then push them to the
  "r-updates" branch.  Then observe failures in the r-updates jobset on
  ci.guix.gnu.org, and fix those.  Finally, rebase the changes, rebuild
  again, then merge.  (This is subject to changes in branch/merge
  management.)

* Mentoring.

  I won't be able to respond to messages sent to the mentors team.

* Finishing the python-team branch.

  We wanted to merge the "python-team" branch soon, which contains
  changes to the pyproject-build-system and many many package updates.
  Build farm troubles threw a spanner in the works and we were unable to
  figure out exactly how many packages are now broken due to our
  changes.  This branch needs a manager who assesses the current status,
  rebases it, and coordinates the merge.  This should be done after the
  merge of "core-updates".

* Cuirass CSS+JS.

  I had started to remove Bootstrap CSS+JS and jQuery from Cuirass,
  i.e. replacing Bootstrap and jQuery JavaScript with plain standard
  JavaScript, and moving Bootstrap CSS to the much less verbose
  Pico.css.

In July I'll be back to hack on Guix for about a week, but other than
that I won't be monitoring email.

If you would like to keep these projects alive, please say so here.  I
can provide more information as needed.

--
Ricardo

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-05-31  9:56 ` jbranso
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jbranso @ 2024-05-31  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

May 31, 2024 at 2:08 AM, "Ricardo Wurmus" <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> in the next few months (from June to the end of October 2024) I won't
>
> have much time for computers. Unfortunately, this means that my
>
> projects will stall unless some of you continue them.
>
> There are only three important projects, and one unimportant project:
>
> * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.
>
>  I used to update all of CRAN and Bioconductor with "./pre-inst-env
>
>  guix refresh -t {cran,bioconductor} -u", fix the updated package
>
>  definitions (e.g. to restore undeclared inputs for replacing minified
>
>  JavaScript), check that all of them build, and then push them to the
>
>  "r-updates" branch. Then observe failures in the r-updates jobset on
>
>  ci.guix.gnu.org, and fix those. Finally, rebase the changes, rebuild
>
>  again, then merge. (This is subject to changes in branch/merge
>
>  management.)
>
> * Mentoring.
>
>  I won't be able to respond to messages sent to the mentors team.
>
> * Finishing the python-team branch.
>
>  We wanted to merge the "python-team" branch soon, which contains
>
>  changes to the pyproject-build-system and many many package updates.
>
>  Build farm troubles threw a spanner in the works and we were unable to
>
>  figure out exactly how many packages are now broken due to our
>
>  changes. This branch needs a manager who assesses the current status,
>
>  rebases it, and coordinates the merge. This should be done after the
>
>  merge of "core-updates".
>
> * Cuirass CSS+JS.
>
>  I had started to remove Bootstrap CSS+JS and jQuery from Cuirass,
>
>  i.e. replacing Bootstrap and jQuery JavaScript with plain standard
>
>  JavaScript, and moving Bootstrap CSS to the much less verbose
>
>  Pico.css.

I've done some web work in the past.  I could probably help with the
bootstrap -> pico move.

@ 2024-06-01 14:01   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-06-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

Hi!

jbranso@dismail.de skribis:

> I've done some web work in the past.  I could probably help with the
> bootstrap -> pico move.

I’m also interested in helping land it.  Did you have a preliminary
branch for this, Ricardo?

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ludo’.

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-06-01 14:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-06-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> * Finishing the python-team branch.
>
>   We wanted to merge the "python-team" branch soon, which contains
>   changes to the pyproject-build-system and many many package updates.
>   Build farm troubles threw a spanner in the works and we were unable to
>   figure out exactly how many packages are now broken due to our
>   changes.  This branch needs a manager who assesses the current status,
>   rebases it, and coordinates the merge.  This should be done after the
>   merge of "core-updates".

I see 6 people on the Python team, making it one of the most populous
teams :-), so I hope we can fix it soon.

As discussed on guix-sysadmin, we have been facing scalability issues
in ‘cuirass remote-server’, which is why builds weren’t happening in a
timely fashion.  The fix is in Git and I hope to deploy it in the coming
days.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-06-04 16:43 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-06-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

On Fri, 31 May 2024 at 08:08, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.

I added my name in the r team.  That’s a good start. :-)

>   I used to update all of CRAN and Bioconductor with "./pre-inst-env
>   guix refresh -t {cran,bioconductor} -u"

Well, I am following Bioconductor mailing list so I already have an idea
when they upgrade.  For the rest, I do not follow much.  Hence the
question: how often do you run “./pre-inst-env guix refresh”?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-06-04 19:35   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-06-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

June 4, 2024 at 12:43 PM, "Simon Tournier" <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Fri, 31 May 2024 at 08:08, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>

> > * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.
> >

> I added my name in the r team. That’s a good start. :-)

Thanks for the reminder!  I need to add myself to the installer team.

If you don't see a new person on the installer team in a few days,
then feel free to ping me!  #gnucode or #jab on #guix.

Joshua

> > I used to update all of CRAN and Bioconductor with "./pre-inst-env
> >
> >  guix refresh -t {cran,bioconductor} -u"
> >

> Well, I am following Bioconductor mailing list so I already have an idea
>
> when they upgrade. For the rest, I do not follow much. Hence the
>
> question: how often do you run “./pre-inst-env guix refresh”?
>
> Cheers,
>
> simon

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-06-07  6:35 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2024-06-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.

is there anyone who will look after the automated channels
guix-cran/guix-bioc (and possibly guix-science)?

> * Finishing the python-team branch.
>
>   We wanted to merge the "python-team" branch soon, which contains
>   changes to the pyproject-build-system and many many package updates.
>   Build farm troubles threw a spanner in the works and we were unable to
>   figure out exactly how many packages are now broken due to our
>   changes.  This branch needs a manager who assesses the current status,
>   rebases it, and coordinates the merge.  This should be done after the
>   merge of "core-updates".

I’m still interested in getting this merged, but I have very limited
time on my hands. If no-one else volunteers until you leave, I’ll
do it.

Lars

* Re: I'm retiring (for a while); help needed
@ 2024-06-07  7:58   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-06-07  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: guix-devel

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> how often do you run “./pre-inst-env guix refresh”?

I aimed to do this once a week, every Monday, but I never quite managed
to keep it up.  It is necessary to keep the packages in Guix up-to-date
to prevent problems with the automated updates of the guix-cran and
guix-bioc channels.

--

@ 2024-06-07  8:00   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-06-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: guix-devel

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:

>> * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.
>
> is there anyone who will look after the automated channels
> guix-cran/guix-bioc (and possibly guix-science)?

Nobody has volunteered to do that.

The channel updaters are running on the berlin server, and the channel
packages are built by the build farm guix.bordeaux.inria.fr.

--

@ 2024-06-07  8:05     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-06-07  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: jbranso, guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> jbranso@dismail.de skribis:
>
>> I've done some web work in the past.  I could probably help with the
>> bootstrap -> pico move.
>
> I’m also interested in helping land it.  Did you have a preliminary
> branch for this, Ricardo?

I've just pushed my progress to the "wip-js+css" branch.

The last thing I started working on was to use the HTML5 "progress"
element instead of using custom div + bootstrap JS.  With pico.css we
can drop most classes and a lot of nested divs.  Currently, though, it
all looks very messy.

--

@ 2024-06-17 12:37     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-06-17 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun, guix-devel

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:
>
>>> * maintenance of R, as well as CRAN and Bioconductor packages.
>>
>> is there anyone who will look after the automated channels
>> guix-cran/guix-bioc (and possibly guix-science)?
>
> Nobody has volunteered to do that.
>
> The channel updaters are running on the berlin server, and the channel
> packages are built by the build farm guix.bordeaux.inria.fr.

Is there a document summarizing the setup: the repos involved, the
services/periodic jobs running, etc.?

Ludo’.

* pico.css in Cuirass
@ 2024-06-17 12:39       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-06-17 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: jbranso, guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> jbranso@dismail.de skribis:
>>
>>> I've done some web work in the past.  I could probably help with the
>>> bootstrap -> pico move.
>>
>> I’m also interested in helping land it.  Did you have a preliminary
>> branch for this, Ricardo?
>
> I've just pushed my progress to the "wip-js+css" branch.

Thanks!

> The last thing I started working on was to use the HTML5 "progress"
> element instead of using custom div + bootstrap JS.  With pico.css we
> can drop most classes and a lot of nested divs.  Currently, though, it
> all looks very messy.

Do I get it right that this branch no longer uses Bootstrap at all?  In
which case I suppose what remains to be done is primarily fixing
remaining UI and layout issues, right?

Ludo’.

* Re: pico.css in Cuirass
@ 2024-06-17 13:22         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-06-17 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: jbranso, guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> The last thing I started working on was to use the HTML5 "progress"
>> element instead of using custom div + bootstrap JS.  With pico.css we
>> can drop most classes and a lot of nested divs.  Currently, though, it
>> all looks very messy.
>
> Do I get it right that this branch no longer uses Bootstrap at all?

Correct.

> In
> which case I suppose what remains to be done is primarily fixing
> remaining UI and layout issues, right?

Yes.  Unfortunately, there are many of them.

--

@ 2024-06-17 13:38       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-06-17 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun, guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> The channel updaters are running on the berlin server, and the channel
>> packages are built by the build farm guix.bordeaux.inria.fr.
>
> Is there a document summarizing the setup: the repos involved, the
> services/periodic jobs running, etc.?

There is no such document.  Here's how it's set up:

ci.guix.gnu.org is installed and configured from the hydra/berlin.scm
code in the maintenance.git repository[1].
"hydra/modules/sysadmin/packages.scm" defines "guix-cran-scripts", which
is built from the contents of its dedicated repository[2].

This package is used in "hydra/modules/sysadmin/services.scm" to define
two service types: "guix-cran-service-type" and
"guix-bioc-service-type".  These extend the mcron service type to run
the "update.sh" script.  The script acts on /var/lib/guix-cran and
/var/lib/guix-bioc, the respective home directories of the guix-cran and
guix-bioc user accounts.  The result of running the update script for
CRAN and Bioconductor is a new commit for each of the repositories at
[3] and [4].

The script commits and pushes to these repositories.  This means that
those user accounts have been granted push access via SSH keys.  These
keys obviously must stay secret.

--
Ricardo

[1]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/