unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Seemingly unintentional near-world rebuild
       [not found] <875xpohyb6.fsf@meson>
@ 2024-10-19 16:53 ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-10-19 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org; +Cc: Andreas Enge

Fixing broken cc to Andreas.

@ 2024-10-19 18:33   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-10-19 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Eure; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello Ian,

Am Sat, Oct 19, 2024 at 09:53:06AM -0700 schrieb Ian Eure:
> > When my Cuirass pulled commit 5794926bed6fad4598bb565fb7f49be4205b11a1
> > this morning, it started rebuilding every package in my channel. This
> > includes a package with zero inputs other than what cmake-build-system
> > needs[1].
> >
> > ci.guix has been evaluating this commit for 90 minutes[2] at the time
> > of this writing, but hasn’t started any builds (it’s also 504ing
> > around half the times I try to load it).  I think it’s going to do a
> > world rebuild, or very close to it.
> >
> > Was this expected?  Should anything be done about it?

difficult to do anything now, there are a bunch of commits that would need
to be reverted.

Normally the world rebuild has been done on bayfront for the fonts split
branch. I have just rebased it on master. So indeed what is new on master
since October 7 may need rebuilding. But I tried with my home profile, and
all of the packages were available.

Also, QA says that there is above 90% availability on ci and bordeaux for
the master branch on x86_64, and about 90% on i686. Close to 100% on aarch64
on bordeaux as well. (Hm, this seems to be for the revision before the
merge. So I do not know; the numbers for the fonts split branch were similar,
however.)

So the only situation where I would see a lot of rebuilding is aarch64 for
persons who have disabled substitutes from bordeaux.

Or does this "my channel" refer to a private channel? Then indeed, the merge
was a world rebuild change; so external channels will only now start to
be built.

Andreas