Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-24 23:42 +0300) wrote: > Alex Kost skribis: > >> No need to fiddle with ‘geiser-scheme-dir’: it should be set properly if >> you have ‘(require 'geiser-install)’ in your emacs config. > > Oops, indeed, PEBKAC: I was just unaware of ‘geiser-install’, and > everything was fine when I used Geiser from ELPA because that happens > automagically. Yes, that's the point: if you install Emacs packages using the Emacs package system, everything should work out of the box. If a package is installed manually or with some distro's package manager, a user needs to figure out what he should put in his config to "complete" the installation. > It would be nice if guix.el somehow had that works-out-of-the-box > property when installing Emacs extensions. :-) As I wrote at , I see the only way to achieve that: - to modify emacs package recipes so that they will provide some files with all required initial configuration (and to name such file "…-autoloads.el", for example); - to modify “guix-init.el” so that (require 'guix-init) will load those autoloads files; - to write some elisp code for auto-loading "…-autoloads.el" on the fly — i.e., to make it possible to install an Emacs package using "guix.el" and to use "M-x " immediately. So if it's acceptable, what about modifying the current recipes step-by-step. With geiser it's easy: as "geiser-install.el" provides all required setup (including autoloads for "M-x …" commands), "geiser-autoloads.el" may just be a symlink to "geiser-install.el". I'm attaching the patch for that. I'm going to send patch(es) for the elisp code later.