unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* 0.8.3 for mid-July?
@ 2015-07-01 13:27 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

I think we should release 0.8.3 for mid to end July.

The relevant things to be done include:

  • Merging wip-diet and wip-environment, and maybe wip-container,
    though that one could just as well be merged afterwards.

  • We must sit down and fix as many bugs as possible.
    <http://bugs.gnu.org/20765> is a blocker IMO, but help is needed
    from Pythonistas.  <http://bugs.gnu.org/20888> must be fixed too,
    but there are many others.

  • Several people reported getting a kernel panic, instead of a Guile
    prompt, when something goes wrong during early boot (in the initrd.)
    I haven’t been able to reproduce it in a VM; if someone could
    reproduce it, that would be great.

There are optimizations that I would like to look into it, though they
are not blocker IMO:

  • ‘guix build hydra -n’ literally takes ages, as Eric noted, so that
    needs to be investigated.

  • ‘guix system’ is quite slow, but it’s apparently computing the same
    derivations several times, which must be fixed.

Anything else?  Comments?

Thanks,
Ludo’.