Hi Guix, libpcap comes with a couple of backends that are disabled by default. Among those available backends is “pcap-linux”. By default the only backends are pcap-null pcap-usb-linux pcap-can-linux pcap-netfilter-linux pcap-common ‘netfilter-linux’ doesn’t work out of the box and I think it requires loading iptables/netfilter kernel modules (I have not yet found the correct modules to load, so I can only guess). When “--with-pcap=linux” is passed “pcap-linux.c” is compiled as well, which makes tcpdump work out of the box without the need to load any further modules. Thanks to Ludovic for providing a crucial bit of information! ~~ Ricardo