unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Substitutes and multiple servers
@ 2015-07-13 18:00 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-13 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi!

Starting from commit 895d1ed, one can fearlessly use multiple substitute
servers (specified via --substitute-urls), but currently only one at a
time.

That is, one can do:

  guix build --substitute-urls=http://hydra.gnu.org foo

and later:

  guix build --substitute-urls=http://hydra.example.org bar

and then switch back and so on, and ‘guix substitute’ will not be
confused.

The next step is obviously to process the whole list of servers when
more than one URL is given.

Comments welcome.

Ludo’.

* Re: Substitutes and multiple servers
@ 2015-07-20 17:46 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-07-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Starting from commit 895d1ed, one can fearlessly use multiple substitute
> servers (specified via --substitute-urls), but currently only one at a
> time.
>
> That is, one can do:
>
>   guix build --substitute-urls=http://hydra.gnu.org foo
>
> and later:
>
>   guix build --substitute-urls=http://hydra.example.org bar
>
> and then switch back and so on, and ‘guix substitute’ will not be
> confused.
>
> The next step is obviously to process the whole list of servers when
> more than one URL is given.
>
> Comments welcome.

Awesome!  This makes 'guix publish' a bit more practical, and
supporting multiple substitution servers in the future will really let
'guix publish' shine since you'd be able to use your friend's guix
machines to supplement the builds available on hydra.gnu.org.

Thanks!

- Dave

* Re: Substitutes and multiple servers
@ 2015-07-20 20:06   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-20 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> Awesome!  This makes 'guix publish' a bit more practical, and
> supporting multiple substitution servers in the future will really let
> 'guix publish' shine since you'd be able to use your friend's guix
> machines to supplement the builds available on hydra.gnu.org.

Yup!

Also, ‘guix publish’ now scales better:

  94080a7 * publish: Do not load archive content in memory.
  7f23fb0 * publish: Serve /nar requests in a separate thread.

I’m thinking of running it on one of the powerful build machines, like
hydra.gnunet.org, as a backup people could use.

Thoughts?

@ 2015-07-20 20:37     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-07-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
>> Awesome!  This makes 'guix publish' a bit more practical, and
>> supporting multiple substitution servers in the future will really let
>> 'guix publish' shine since you'd be able to use your friend's guix
>> machines to supplement the builds available on hydra.gnu.org.
>
> Yup!
>
> Also, ‘guix publish’ now scales better:
>
>   94080a7 * publish: Do not load archive content in memory.
>   7f23fb0 * publish: Serve /nar requests in a separate thread.

Great hacks!  Shame about the Guile HTTP server issue, though.

> I’m thinking of running it on one of the powerful build machines, like
> hydra.gnunet.org, as a backup people could use.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds like a really good idea to me, if for no other reason than my
selfish desire for more real world testing of 'guix publish'. :)

- Dave