unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Internship
@ 2015-11-04 14:42 Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2015-11-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear list,

As I'm new to this list, let me introduce myself shortly. My name is
Roel, and I live in the Netherlands. Projects I (have) work(ed) on:
 * GNU InklingReader: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/inklingreader/
 * clmedview: https://github.com/roelj/clmedview/ (sorry, it's Github;
 This was an internship project as well).

I've been following GNU Guix for about two years now (admittedly on and
off) and I used it in combination with Debian.

For a bachelor's degree in software engineering, I have to do an
internship. Naturally, I would like to contribute to a GNU project, and
my particular interest goes to GNU Guile and/or GNU Guix, because
I think Scheme is an elegant language, GNU Guix is great for a user's
freedom as well as a beautiful approach to package management, and I've
had a very pleasant experience interacting with the people working on
this project (thank you so much).

The internship should be in the form of a project that can be done in
about 800 hours (spread over 20 weeks) of work. For this I need:
 * a mentor who has at least two hours a week (~ 40 hours in total) time
 for guiding me;
   - This should take place from February 15, 2016 to July 17, 2016
 * the assignment must cover three cycles of the software engineering
 lifecycle (roughly speaking: [Maintain/analyse/advise/design/implement]
 a software system).
 * A subproject that I can work on by myself (with a little guidance
 from a mentor)

If anyone could help me, I can provide the GNU Guix project with:
 * 800 hours of work on the project (minus some overhead of writing and
 doing presentations at my university);
 * Some exposure of this project to people at my university;
 * After completion I would like to continue contributing to the
 project.
 * Free beers (or non-alcoholic drinks) at FOSDEM, in case anyone of
 this project will be there.

So, does anyone see the possibility to be a mentor for my internship?
If so, what areas in the project could I contribute to? (I need some
guidance formulating the exact assignment (before it can be approved by
my university).)

Thank you for reading my long e-mail.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Internship
@ 2015-11-05 21:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-05 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

> For a bachelor's degree in software engineering, I have to do an
> internship. Naturally, I would like to contribute to a GNU project, and
> my particular interest goes to GNU Guile and/or GNU Guix, because
> I think Scheme is an elegant language, GNU Guix is great for a user's
> freedom as well as a beautiful approach to package management, and I've
> had a very pleasant experience interacting with the people working on
> this project (thank you so much).
>
> The internship should be in the form of a project that can be done in
> about 800 hours (spread over 20 weeks) of work. For this I need:
>  * a mentor who has at least two hours a week (~ 40 hours in total) time
>  for guiding me;
>    - This should take place from February 15, 2016 to July 17, 2016
>  * the assignment must cover three cycles of the software engineering
>  lifecycle (roughly speaking: [Maintain/analyse/advise/design/implement]
>  a software system).
>  * A subproject that I can work on by myself (with a little guidance
>  from a mentor)
>
> If anyone could help me, I can provide the GNU Guix project with:
>  * 800 hours of work on the project (minus some overhead of writing and
>  doing presentations at my university);
>  * Some exposure of this project to people at my university;
>  * After completion I would like to continue contributing to the
>  project.
>  * Free beers (or non-alcoholic drinks) at FOSDEM, in case anyone of
>  this project will be there.

This sounds interesting!  It’s nice that your university gives you this
possibility.

You’d need to find a project that goes from design to implementation.
That sounds a bit like a GSoC project in scope, so you might want to
look at ideas that were previously discussed.  For example, it could be
a UI for the GuixSD installation process, say using guile-ncurses.

It would be best if you could familiarize yourself with Guix{,SD} and
the associated tools and APIs.  Maybe ideas would naturally pop up as a
result of frustration or enthusiasm.  ;-)

Once that is defined, we could probably find a mentor, preferably not me.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Internship
@ 2015-11-07 15:12   ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2015-11-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

>> You’d need to find a project that goes from design to implementation.
> That sounds a bit like a GSoC project in scope, so you might want to
> look at ideas that were previously discussed.  For example, it could be
> a UI for the GuixSD installation process, say using guile-ncurses.

I think the "easiest" way to go about is going from analyzing a software
system to designing a new component in the system to implementing the
design. I guess its scope is pretty much like a GSoC project.

> It would be best if you could familiarize yourself with Guix{,SD} and
> the associated tools and APIs.  Maybe ideas would naturally pop up as a
> result of frustration or enthusiasm.  ;-)

I am in this process. I want to add a package to Guix pretty soon. I've
run into some problems with the combination Fedora + Guix, so I still
have to get a working Guix setup before I can test my package expression.

> Once that is defined, we could probably find a mentor, preferably not me.
>
> WDYT?

I received an interesting opportunity from Pjotr Prins, which is about
reproducible bioinformatics pipelines. I'm in the process of formulating
an assignment proposal.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: Internship
@ 2015-11-07 18:08     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-11-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 04:12:43PM +0100, Roel Janssen wrote:
> I am in this process. I want to add a package to Guix pretty soon. I've
> run into some problems with the combination Fedora + Guix, so I still
> have to get a working Guix setup before I can test my package expression.

Did you try the binary install with the tar ball? That should work
anywhere.

And use these to create the build tool chain (I use a profile for
that). It is described in my guix-notes.

Pj.

* Re: Internship
@ 2015-11-09 21:12       ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2015-11-09 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins writes:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 04:12:43PM +0100, Roel Janssen wrote:
>> I am in this process. I want to add a package to Guix pretty soon. I've
>> run into some problems with the combination Fedora + Guix, so I still
>> have to get a working Guix setup before I can test my package expression.
>
> Did you try the binary install with the tar ball? That should work
> anywhere.
>
> And use these to create the build tool chain (I use a profile for
> that). It is described in my guix-notes.

Finally found the time to look at it again and now I've got it working
now from the Git repository. Thanks for your help though.

My first package is on its way.