Leo Famulari writes: > On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 06:06:24PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote: >> On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 07:16:22PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote: >> > Leo Famulari writes: >> > >> > > On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 07:48:36PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote: >> > >> Note that it bundles googletest; I tried unbundling but it proved >> > >> difficult. gtest will no longer be used from the 0.6 release so I did >> > >> not think a comment was necessary. >> > > >> > > I am cc-ing Lukas with my reply, since he added our googletest package. >> > > Maybe he has some insight. >> > The problem is that their autotools system expects to build gtest as >> > well, so there are references all over. See: >> > https://github.com/sandstorm-io/capnproto/blob/release-0.5.3/c%2B%2B/Makefile.am >> > and also configure.ac. It would have to be patched out, which seems >> > excessive for a 4MB build dependency. >> >> In my opinion, it's generally not about the size of the bundled >> dependency. Rather, it's about the opacity of the dependency graph of >> the application that does the bundling. The worst case would be >> something like a bundled OpenSSL, for example. >> >> In this case, Debian has accepted the bundled gtest [0], which makes me >> wonder if my understanding of gtest is incorrect. Perhaps it is designed >> to be bundled? It comes bundled more often than not, but decoupling generally works out of the box, as it's just linked to as with any library AFAICT: https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/docs/Primer.md If it was any other library, or if it wasn't dropped in current git, I would have gone through the effort of purging it. > In any case, since Debian accepted it, I'm willing to accept it as well, > unless somebody objects. > > But the patch has gone stale due to other changes in serialization.scm. > Marius, will you send an updated patch? New patch below. Thanks!