Ricardo Wurmus writes: > It could be useful to have application-specific setup notes in a > well-known location that is gathered when the profile is built. Maybe we could begin by adding a simple, optional field ("post-install-notes", maybe?) to the record type? We could maybe print the notes in the output of invocations like "guix package --show=foo". We could also add a profile hook to generate a simple summary of such documentation for a given profile, in a specific location (not sure where - depends on the format, maybe, but somewhere in $GUIX_PROFILE/share?). > I would not like these notes to be printed automatically upon > installation, but generating a file with important notes seems like a > good idea in general. I also think it's a good idea. It seems potentially more useful than maintaining separate documentation in the manual or in a wiki, too (although that is certainly useful, as well). There is something to be said for "self-documenting" package definitions. It would have helped me to learn, for example, that to play additional media types in Rhythmbox (from the rhythmbox package), I needed to install additional GStreamer plugins (from the gst-libav package, I think). -- Chris