On 2021-05-03, Leo Famulari wrote: > On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 09:38:56PM +0200, Tissevert wrote: >> I've just given the binary tarball a spin on Devuan. Worked almost flawlessly >> (daemonize wasn't installed and I missed the part when it was mentioned because >> I was a bit in a hurry but apart from that the overall experience was great — >> the guix text art was surprising in a good kind of way). > > I think that a big part of why we offer the SysV-init "/etc/init.d" > service management script is to serve Devuan — there are not many > distros using that style of service management anymore. Out of the *five* bug reports the guix packages in Debian received, *two* of them were related to using SysV init (or at least not using systemd): https://bugs.debian.org/974751 https://bugs.debian.org/983248 So while Debian defaults to systemd, there is still the ability to choose between init systems, and some people do explore that option. I also just noticed some openrc scripts available too... > If `daemonize` is not available by default on Devuan, I wonder if > there is some other way we should be writing the script. Yeah, not sure what best practices are for SysV init scripts these days. For Debian I just documented that users of SysV in debian should install daemonize; in future versions I may make it a soft alternate dependency to the relevent systemd packages. live well, vagrant