unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-27 22:59 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2024-09-27 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, guixrus (https://lists.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus) was
intended as a place where package definitions updates can be quicker
while patches are waiting in review for the guix git.  Curious if that
is still the intended for this purpose (no such activities recently)?

another comment related to it: its web site https://whereis.みんな/
seems to use Japanese characters (?)  If possible can a site name in
ASCII be provided as well as those Japanese characters sometimes
confuse clients. Thanks

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-28  1:02 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-09-28  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, guix-devel

September 27, 2024 at 6:59 PM, "Andy Tai" <atai@atai.org mailto:atai@atai.org?to=%22Andy%20Tai%22%20%3Catai%40atai.org%3E > wrote:

> Hi, guixrus (https://lists.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus) was
> intended as a place where package definitions updates can be quicker
> while patches are waiting in review for the guix git. Curious if that
> is still the intended for this purpose (no such activities recently)?

My WIP opensmtpd-service is still on guixrus.  I have done some updates to it,
but on my sourcehut account.

https://git.sr.ht/~gnucode/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/services

> another comment related to it: its web site https://whereis.xn--q9jyb4c/
> seems to use Japanese characters (?) If possible can a site name in
> ASCII be provided as well as those Japanese characters sometimes
> confuse clients. Thanks

* Re: status of guixrus
       [not found] <mailman.10937.1727485963.15693.guix-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2024-09-28 13:31 ` Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-09-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Andy Tai

> another comment related to it: its web site https://whereis.みんな/
> seems to use Japanese characters (?)  If possible can a site name in
> ASCII be provided as well as those Japanese characters sometimes
> confuse clients. Thanks

If your client is confused by an Internationalized Domain Name (IDN),
you can use Punycode to access it, in this case « whereis.xn--q9jyb4c ».

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-28 16:28   ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2024-09-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noé Lopez; +Cc: guix-devel, Andy Tai

> If your client is confused by an Internationalized Domain Name (IDN),
> you can use Punycode to access it, in this case « whereis.みんな ».

which sure looks like some phishing attempt... </sarc>

but to increase the confusion, something in the sw stack has undone your conversion: i see 3 blocks above here in chromium+protonmail web client reply window (but not when your email is displayed).

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-29 13:17     ` Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-09-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: guix-devel, atai

Attila Lendvai <attila@lendvai.name> writes:

>> If your client is confused by an Internationalized Domain Name (IDN),
>> you can use Punycode to access it, in this case « whereis.みんな ».
>
> which sure looks like some phishing attempt... </sarc>
>
> but to increase the confusion, something in the sw stack has undone your conversion: i see 3 blocks above here in chromium+protonmail web client reply window (but not when your email is displayed).

How interesting, it seems to have fully transformed itself back to
japanese. Goes to show how messy this whole IDN transition is
(unfortunately).

I am myself using an IDN name for my email, do you see it as punycode or
as noé dot eu ?

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-29 14:35       ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2024-09-29 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noe@xn--no-cja.eu, Attila Lendvai; +Cc: Guix Devel, atai@atai.org

>  I am myself using an IDN name for my email, do you see it as punycode or as noé dot eu ?

Your address actually breaks my client, and all emails from you show up as being from "Guix Devel"

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-29 16:27         ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-09-29 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Prior; +Cc: noe@xn--no-cja.eu, Attila Lendvai, Guix Devel, atai@atai.org

On Sun, Sep 29, 2024 at 02:35:00PM +0000, Ryan Prior wrote:
> [...]

Previous email:
From: Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. <guix-devel@gnu.org>
This email:
To: "noe@xn--no-cja.eu" <noe@noé.eu>

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: status of guixrus
@ 2024-09-29 23:55 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2024-09-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi all,

On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 03:59 PM, Andy Tai wrote:

> Hi, guixrus (<https://lists.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus>) was
> intended as a place where package definitions updates can be quicker
> while patches are waiting in review for the guix git.  Curious if that
> is still the intended for this purpose (no such activities recently)?

To return to the original question, I don't have direct information to
add but wanted to clarify that guixrus is not an official guix
project/channel. Though I know people involved there are also here,
might be best (if you haven't already) to reach out directly to those
members (I see they have a mailing address and IRC channel).

John