unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-24 18:55 Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-12-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I want to help out with guix and dmd development, but the problem is that I
am not a very experienced programmer at all. I was wondering what other
ways are there for me to help out?

* Re: Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-24 19:56 ` rekado
From: rekado @ 2014-12-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan writes:
> I want to help out with guix and dmd development, but the problem is that I
> am not a very experienced programmer at all. I was wondering what other
> ways are there for me to help out?

One way to contribute is by using Guix as a package manager on top of an
existing GNU/Linux distribution and to report bugs.  Another way is to
try to package up missing free software that you would like to be
available through Guix.  Writing package specifications is not very
difficult and requires hardly any programming experience at all.

Be sure to visit the IRC channel #guix on freenode to get help in
getting started.

-- rekado

* Re: Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-24 20:01   ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-12-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: guix-devel

>One way to contribute is by using Guix >as a package manager on top of an
>existing GNU/Linux distribution and to >report bugs.  Another way is to
>try to package up missing free >software that you would like to be
>available through Guix.  Writing >package specifications is not very
>difficult and requires hardly any >programming experience at all.

I could see into doing all that. How about documentation? I'm fluent with
English, And Arabic. Is there help needed there?
On Dec 24, 2014 11:56 AM, "rekado" <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Omar Radwan writes:
> > I want to help out with guix and dmd development, but the problem is
> that I
> > am not a very experienced programmer at all. I was wondering what other
> > ways are there for me to help out?
>
> One way to contribute is by using Guix as a package manager on top of an
> existing GNU/Linux distribution and to report bugs.  Another way is to
> try to package up missing free software that you would like to be
> available through Guix.  Writing package specifications is not very
> difficult and requires hardly any programming experience at all.
>
> Be sure to visit the IRC channel #guix on freenode to get help in
> getting started.
>
> -- rekado

* Re: Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-24 20:40     ` rekado
From: rekado @ 2014-12-24 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan writes:
> I could see into doing all that. How about documentation? I'm fluent with
> English, And Arabic. Is there help needed there?

I'm not familiar with exactly how translations are handled, but I think
it's done on <http://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>.  There's
an English template file for which translations can be submitted.  At
the moment there does not seem to be an Arabic translation.

The Texinfo sources for the official manual are included in the
git repository checkout in the ./doc directory.

* Re: Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-24 21:09       ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-12-24 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: guix-devel

Ok, I'll check that out.

About packaging, is there a specific build script that I have to use, like
the SlackBuild? Or is there another way. I've never packaged software for
any distro before, but I have compiled for personal use. Is there like a
manual or something that can help me?

@ 2014-12-24 22:55         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2014-12-24 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan writes:
> Is there like a manual or something that can help me?

There is:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html

A manual in info format is also included in the download.  You can read
it in Emacs or any other info reader.

* Re: Is help wanted?Needed?
@ 2014-12-26  5:10         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-12-26  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel

Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, I'll check that out.
>
> About packaging, is there a specific build script that I have to use,
> like the SlackBuild? Or is there another way. I've never packaged
> software for any distro before, but I have compiled for personal use.
> Is there like a manual or something that can help me?

In addition to the manual, these tutorial slides might be helpful:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/guix-ghm-andreas-20130823.pdf

I'd also encourage you to visit our IRC channel, #guix on
irc.freenode.net.

      Mark