Leo Famulari writes: Hi! Find attached a new version of gnome-tweak-tool. >> Sorry, I still don't understand. Can you explain why you want to remove >> python2 from the propagated inputs? > > Propagated-inputs are silently installed into the user's profile > alongside the package that propagates them. In this case, installing > gnome-tweak-tool would also install python2 into the user's profile. > > Propagation becomes attractive when the software provided by a package > does not have a good mechanism for finding its dependencies. For > example, some software may *only* be able to find a dependency by > looking on PATH. Gnome-tweak-tool, as far as we know, has this > limitation for python2. > > The problem with propagating inputs is that only one version of a given > package may be installed into a user's profile. This is in contrast to > "regular" inputs, which are not installed into a user's profile. Indeed, > every package that you install into your profile could refer to a > different version of, say, libfoo, by linking directly to the various > libfoos' directories in the store. > > So, letting gnome-tweak-tool propagate python2 would prevent a Python > programmer from choosing which version of python2 they want in their > profile; they'd be forced to choose between gnome-tweak-tool or their > desired python2. > > Does that make sense? That makes sense. Thanks for your explanation! Is this documented somewhere? I think it should be. > An alternative to propagated-inputs is to use a wrapper. Actually, all > of our packages using the python-build-system are wrapped automatically > [0]. The wrapper makes the dependent packages available in the run-time > environment without polluting the user's profile, while introducing a > reference to the dependencies into the store directory, which makes sure > that the garbage collector works correctly. > > Does that make sense? Yes. Moved python to inputs, added python wrapper. > Hopefully, I've got that all right — I'll be happy if somebody clarifies > or corrects me! > > [0] If gnome-tweak-tool did not break convention by using the Autotools > to build Python software, this discussion would not be happening ;) Hah! ;-) Greetings, Jan