unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
To: bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: FSDG status of chromium
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 21:08:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Bill,

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

> regarding the recent proposal of introducing chromium into guix; i have
> done a lot of research and participated in much discussion regarding
> it's fitness regarding the FSDG; and i am quite surprised to see it so
> much as suggest into guix
>
> for the benefit of anyone who does not not know, the controversy
> regarding the allegedly improper licensing of chromium is nearly
> 10 years old now and has been discussed ad-nauseam over the years -
> many people want it to be resolved one way or the other; but as of
> today, it is not resolved; and therefore guix, as a GNU project, and
> guixsd, as an FSDG distro should not be so eager to package or
> distribute it - someone from the FSF told me that RMS has expressed an
> interest in resolving this; but it would be a huge task to scrutinize
> that entire code-base, even with the assistance of tools such as
> fossology - as of today, no one has done that, and no FSDG distro
> carries chromium - that is not an oversight, because they have not
> yet gotten around to packaging it, nor that the devs or users do not
> want that program; but because the consensus among the community is
> that this program has never been shown to be 100% freely distributable
> - unless the FSF makes a definitive statement about this, it's
> introduction (or re-introduction as the case may be) into any FSDG
> distro should be considered to be premature at this time - seeing as
> how the issue has not been resolved after 10 years, it is not even
> clear, if such a time will ever arrive when it will be justified
>
> to be clear, it is assumed that the issue pertains to all
> chromium-derived browsers such as iridium and "ungoogled" chromium, the
> qt5-webengine library and browsers linking to it such as qupzilla and
> falkon, and all electron "apps" such as riot, atom, and vscode - one
> fedora developer has told me recently[1] that anything built on electron
> is probably a hopeless cause; but a qt5-webengine dev has stated
> that this issue bothers them too and they will fix any problems found
> even if the upstream does not - that is encouraging because clients of
> qt5-webengine account for the majority of programs that are on the
> parabola blacklist for using chromium-derived code - a wiki page was
> created recently the FSD especially for such programs that should be
> scrutinized[2]

Can you elaborate on what exactly the issue is?  I am aware that
Chromium bundles non-free sources, but the proposed Guix package purges
these from the source tarball so that they don't show up when a user
runs `guix build --source chromium`.

All non-essential "third_party" directories are purged in the same
manner.  I have audited the remaining third_party files and AFAICT they
are free software.

That leaves "first party" source files.  Admittedly I haven't audited
all of those other than superficial grepping.  Do you know whether parts
of Chromium are considered non-free?  I noticed a number of files are
missing license information: in those cases I have assumed that the
top-level "LICENSE" file (BSD-3) applies.

> early this year, the FSF published an interview promoting qupzilla,
> while that program, along with numerous other electron and
> webengine-based programs were, and are still, blacklisted from FSDG
> distros; which made matters worse - now there are mixed signals
> floating about regarding what exactly is the FSF's opinion of this; and
> distros have no answer for users to the question of why we are in this
> predicament at all - shortly after that, i started a new thread on the
> FSD mailing list[3] to entice the FSF to, once and for all, state
> something definitive about this - that thread is something of an
> anthology of chromium woes as related to the FSDG; including links to
> the original chromium upstream bug report from 2009 (still open)[4],
> the parabola mega-issue[5] (which attempts to consolidate all of the
> packages that could be re-instated in parabola if ever chromium is
> cleared of doubt and actually deemed to be free software by the
> consensus of the FSDG distros), and many of the relevant discussions
> on the FSDG mailing list over the years

I've read [4] including the blocking issues.  Currently the tickets
seem to be about passing the 'checklicenses.py' script.  I tried running
it on the "sanitized" source in Guix and it complains about 379 files
for which it fails to detect license.  Output attached.

> shortly after that, the community on the FSDG mailing list were
> successful in convincing pureos to act on a long-standing freedom bug
> report to remove chromium from their repos in solidarity with the other
> FSDG distros - to their credit, they did so, albeit reluctantly;
> expressing the sentiment that "this is a dis-service to our users" as an
> explanation of why it took so long to remove it - that presumption is
> perhaps understandable; but when you think about it, is it really a
> dis-service for a freedom-respecting distro to remove a program that is
> not known to be free software? - the fact that the users might *like*
> that program is not the primary concern of the FSDG - parabola users
> liked those blacklisted programs too; but parabola removed them on the
> principle that their removal was in the best service to freedom-minded
> users until they were determined to be 100% freely licensed; even if the
> users wept - tough love, ya know - thats exactly what the FSDG are for
>
> it is not the objective of the FSDG to allow exceptions for certain
> high-profile programs to pass scrutiny only because users may complain
> of their absence - if those users would want to use those program even
> though they are not known to be free; then those users may as well be
> using a proprietary OS - short of that, those users can *easily* go to
> www.krome.oogle.comm and grab the binary if they desire it so much;
> but the FSDG does not cater to that desire - i would like to think
> that all software is to be considered non-free until proven otherwise;
> with no exceptions on the grounds that: *users want it anyways*
>
> regarding 'ungoogled' and 'iridium', the modifications they make are
> aimed at privacy issues - as far as i know, hey have done nothing to
> address the concerns of dubious licensing - i have been told that devs
> for both of these have been asked and had no information whatsoever
> regarding the alleged/phantom unlicensed files; so there is no grounds
> to assume that these browser are any more or less freely distributable
> as chromium  - someone from qt-webengine mentioned on that thread that
> they had no information either but were willing to fix anything found
>
> luke has written a much more thorough treatise about this that was
> intended for the FSF to publish last year[6] - that describe several
> issue with chromium beyond the allegedly dubious licensing

It seems to me using "Ungoogled-Chromium" remediates Lukes concerns from
[6].  DRM and pre-built binaries are already purged from the Guix source.

[...]

> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-12/msg00008.html
> [2]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_evaluation
> [3]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2017-11/msg00003.html
> [4]: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=28291
> [5]: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1167
> [6]: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2018-03/msg00098.html
> [7]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Template:FSDG_Checklist
> [8]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser

Here is the output from the checklicenses.py script: