Hi Simon, zimoun writes: > On Wed, 08 Jun 2022 at 11:30, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote: > >>> It reduces a bit the pressure on the committers, IMHO. >> >> It raises a bit the pressure on the maintainers, IMHO :-) > > What does it mean “maintainer” here? Guix maintainers > Maybe I miss something but I do not think the Guix maintainers play a > special role in reviewing or committing. not directly but they oversee the entire process, no? > Could you explain which pressure you are envisioning? it was explained above your quotation in my original message, IMHO this is the pressure: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- > **automatically** merged every week to the branch “stable” and by > default user pull “stable”. One week let the time to build by the CI, > check everything is fine and fix otherwise. This means that if the fix is not committed (rebased?) in that weekly timerfame the problematic patch is automatically pushed to stable without a fix; also we'll have that problematic commit in stable anyway (affecting users like me that are "pinning" specific channels?), unless we rebase "unstable"... "manually": am I wrong? --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- IMVHO automatic merges once a week from something /possibly/ not working to "stable" is not a good solution to the problem of reviwers scarcity >> I understand there is a certain "entrance barrier" to become patch >> reviewer, but I'm afraid we cannot lower it more than the current >> situation except for the offload build server and more tolling options. > > I am missing the meaning of «tolling option». sorry, my intention was to write "tooling options", meaning the range of tools available to committers/reviewers to automate some tasks > I think it is possible to lower a bit the reviewing barrier. Today, the > patch submission is very flexible: IMHO this is a good thing, it lowers the barrier for new contributors [...] > For instance, consider submission #47171 [1]. seen > It was not my first contribution, it was not the first review by > Ricardo, and we both missed a “guix pull” breakage despite the fact I > did “make as-derivation” (and I am not convinced it is systematically > done ;-)). as Ludo' was suggesting, maybe we could start with a checklist and then see what we can automate? > Another example, when working of Preservation of Guix [2], I noticed > that many packages using git-fetch were not in SWH; which means that > “guix lint” had not been run on these packages. is there any way to force it (along with other linting) when commiting? > We could answer more automated tools on infra side, etc. which is the > direction to go. But we are not there yet and things need to be done > today. :-) That’s why, I think the project should: > > 1. change the default branch of “git push” vs the default branch of > “guix pull”. sorry I don't understand what this means > 2. add a bit more of checkers on patch submission easing patch > review. I guess you mean "automatic checkers": I agree that checking tools are good (something is missing in "guix lint"?) [...] Thank you! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures