John Kehayias writes: > First, I wanted to ask how people feel about such a feature. Obviously, one use > is to run pre-built binaries (isolated!), but this is also handy for setting up > development environments when not able (or wanting) to with Guix packages only. > For example, using the rustup [0] scripts, pretty much anything JS, or just > following typical Readme instructions to try out something new before packaging. > I won't debate the details here other than to say this topic comes up with Guix > and I think it is yet another useful tool for guix shell and containers. Absolutely! I usually have to resort to Docker containers when building something that doesn't support GuixSD, so being able to work with them through Guix would be amazing. > What about other uses for this container, like providing an isolated environment > to build and run software we can't do fully with bootstrap and sources (like > JS)? Could this become some stop-gap to allow people to work with these > ecosystems in a more controlled way within Guix? Or an alternative build > environment? Not entirely sure what this could mean, just thinking out loud. I think an interesting idea would be to allow packages to transparently run in the FHS container (i.e. a shim that turns 'x' into 'guix shell --fhs-container x -- x'). That way software incompatible with GuixSD in a way too difficult to patch could be still be packaged and used transparently, albeit with a significant performance cost. Even if packages in Guix proper don't use it, it could be useful for third-party channels or end-users to whip up packages. Thanks so much for this; I've been thinking about getting around to this feature for quite a while.