unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Midi
@ 2015-02-15 15:43 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

another message for Ricardo or anyone else interested in sound:
Have we already got an application to play midi files on guix?
I used to use timidity (with an appropriate rather large soundfont),
but maybe there are better choices nowadays?

I would not need anything fancy, even a translator midi->wav would
be fine for me.

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-15 16:17 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-02-15 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge writes:

> another message for Ricardo or anyone else interested in sound:
> Have we already got an application to play midi files on guix?
> I used to use timidity (with an appropriate rather large soundfont),
> but maybe there are better choices nowadays?

I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.

Ardour 3 also comes with a MIDI sequencer; in combination with LV2 synth
plugins you could already get MIDI playback, but that's admittedly a
very heavy solution unless you already have Ardour running anyway.

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-15 16:43   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:17:54PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
> player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.

If you feel like doing it, it would be very welcome!

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16  6:36     ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2015-02-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:17:54PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> I know of no alternatives to timidity when it comes to a simple MIDI
>> player.  I wanted to package it a while ago but didn't get around to it.
>
> If you feel like doing it, it would be very welcome!
I sent a patch to add wildmidi, a simple midi player.
But I haven't test it ;-)

> Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:05       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 02:36:37PM +0800, 宋文武 wrote:
> I sent a patch to add wildmidi, a simple midi player.
> But I haven't test it ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion! As such, it does not work:
libWildMidi(_WM_BufferFile:132): ERROR Unable to stat /etc/wildmidi/wildmidi.cfg (No such file or directory)

The configuration file tells the program where to find sound patches.
So in any case, we would need sound patches and/or a sound font to play
anything.

Andreas

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:16         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-02-16 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

FYI: I'm currently packaging TiMidity++.  We may still need to package a
basic soundfont.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Midi
@ 2015-02-16 22:29           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:16:08PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> FYI: I'm currently packaging TiMidity++.  We may still need to package a
> basic soundfont.

Debian recommends freepats:
   http://freepats.zenvoid.org/
It also contains fluid-soundfont-gm and fluid-soundfont-gs, but I did not
find a homepage with "source" for them.

I suppose that timidity should depend on a soundfont and then include a
corresponding configuration file (which could be created as part of the
soundfont, and maybe sourced into the main timidity configuration file).

Andreas