Hi Maxime and all, I'm so sorry this discussion is shifting to the actual meaning of reproducible... especially since Maxime and many of us know it very well I'm sure 95% of people I know would not understand me if I tell them that their software should be reproducible, they should study a little bit (effort) what software is to really understand what I mean... or Just Trust Us™ Maxime Devos writes: [...] > It's ‘reproducible’ in the trivial sense that you can ‘reproduce’ a > scientific paper by putting it a photocopier. Maxime I have a question for you please: do you really think that in the NixOS community (or any other project mentioned in https://reproducible-builds.org/who/projects/) the term reproducible is interpreted in that way? That's not reproducible in this context [1] (I mean software reproducibility), or to be unambiguous we should always use "build reproducible" instead of "reproducible" so we amost recall some context [2]? IMVHO if we continue using the term reproducible in that trivial way [3] when talking about software (this include each and every scientific paper [4]), we will never get to any point; reproducible is what reproducible means: https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/definition/ I was just hoping that nowadays "reproducible" is perceived as "build reproducible" (as defined in the definition above) by all software developers and many users (including scientists) ... the same holds for "bootstrappable" (in this context) Happy Hacking! Gio' P.S.: or you Maxime are just playng the devil's advocate? :-D [1] context is what defines the meaning of symbols ;-) [2] build what? [3] scan and print (aka copy) and distribute the compiled binary artifact [4] is it software even if not always expressed in a programming language? (my guess is yes) -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures