On 2023-05-24, Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." wrote: > On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 2:01 PM Vagrant Cascadian wrote: >> >> Please revert ASAP. > > I am not affected, but if I understood Maxim's message from 5/18 > correctly, the signature requirement was already reverted: > > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=03b453cfe54756bcec6b7c7dfaf71566d84c7a75 True! Figured this out, but wow it was circuitous! So, the very non-obvious behavior was triggered by using git worktrees with a mix of updated and not very updated checkouts... So I have ~/src/guix and a ~/src/guix-workspace which is a worktree from ~/src/guix... When I ran "./configure && ./bootstrap ... && make" from ~/src/guix-workspace it installed a rule in ~/src/guix/.git/config: [include] path = ../etc/git/gitconfig So there was no obvious entry for [commit] in the configuration file... so on a glance I missed that. Manually adding: [commit] gpgsign=false Did work around the problem. My initial check for ~/src/guix-workspace/.git/config was wrong, as it was a worktree and .git is a file... so it obviously did not show any configuration at a non-resolvable path. Also updating the git checkout at ~/src/guix fixed the issue, even though I was *working* from ~/src/guix-workspace and my working directory etc/git/gitconfig had the fix... Having an [include] entry pointing to files that were not in my working directory from some arbitrary checkout (I will reiterate my working directory actually *did* have the fix!) kind of broke my mind a bit. I get it now. I think. :) This is not the first time I have been burned by using worktrees, but it was certainly the most convoluted! live well, vagrant