Hi! Simon Tournier writes: [...] > For example, we communicate in English. It appears to me impossible to > send a contribution without having some basic knowledge of English. And, believe me or not, for me /that/ is a **significant** cognitive overhead not just to contribute to international projects [1] (including our company internal projects), but also to efficiently communicate in international mailing lists like this one. For me (actually for all) using a natural language, especially a foreign one, is a constant hack! :-) [...] > What is the thing that will tell me that the English I wrote is not > meeting the standard? > Why do we accept this “friction” about English filtering people? > > Well, I am stretching a bit to make my point. :-) Yes, it's a stretch but IMO it helps making the poing about the sources of friction when participating in discussions and trying to contribute to a "crowded" international project, with people with very different competences in English language, including technical English, programming languages **and** tools. [...] >> In the US, the phrase "I don't buy it" is usually the response to >> someone trying to trick you into something. This is a little hurtful >> because it's either saying: > > Sorry, it was not my intent. I was expressing: I do not believe it is > *the* real problem. (Let me use some humor please) The frinction here comes from the fact that all natural languages suck, no one sucks less :-O The 5th definition of the transitive verb "buy" taken from Merriam-Webster is: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- 5: ACCEPT, BELIEVE I don't buy that hooey. — often used with into buy into a compromise --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- So AFAIU "I don't buy it" means "I dont's [accept|believe] it": no? ...but maybe the Merriam-Webster is too British :-D [...] Happy haking! Gio' [1] have you an idea of the time I spend to translate concepts to be expressed in commit message in English? Why I cannot just write in my very good Italian and "git send-email" happily? -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures