Adonay Felipe Nogueira writes: > Personally, I find .desktop files better suited for this. Place each of > them in "$HOME/.local/share/applications" directory. > > More information about the FreeDesktop .desktop standard can be found > at: > [[https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/]]. > > As it evidences, GNOME has adapted a similar format, which can be read > at > [[https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html]]. If a software component comes with desktop files, what's the right place to put them relative to the component's output path? I would imagine that a lot of desktop applications packaged with Guix will probably come with desktop files. Or, if they do not, I imagine that we could add desktop files for them as we package them. Instead of requiring users to create their own desktop files individually (I can never remember how to do it), it would be neat if desktop applications installed via Guix came with desktop files installed in the "right place" by default. That way, any software which understands the FreeDesktop standard would find the installed software and populate the right menus automatically. I think we're doing this already for some Guix packages, but since my knowledge of the FreeDesktop standard is limited, I'm not sure if it's by accident or if it's intentional. -- Chris