Maxim Cournoyer writes: > Could you elaborate on how you create and then use such cache? It's very dumb, really: it just drops the output of `guix package --search "."` to a file :D > Is it useful when used inside Emacs only, say in a *shell* buffer? Well, you can use `recsel' or any text processing tool over it, but beside that, not much I'm afraid. > If so, what does it bring over using emacs-guix, which caches in memory > the package definitions? In terms of caching, nothing, but the Helm interface has some significant perks over emacs-guix: - Perform transactions (install/remove) over multiple packages. - Perform actions over multiple packages: browse home-page, show (reverse) deps, find-files (with helm-find-files -- awesome! :p). That's about it. It's much more basic than emacs-guix but convenient enough that I still find some use for it :) That said, this `helm-system-packages-guix.el` was mostly a proof of concept, it's far from being as neat and complete as emacs-guix. A proper Helm/Ivy interface for emacs-guix would be much better, maybe some day. -- Pierre Neidhardt