unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-03 11:09 Andreas Enge
  2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
two letter software names! I would like to package
  pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
  http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/

Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

Then is there a point in packaging it at all? This is more or less a
one-shot research software, I think, with no versioning. So maybe not
relevant enough? (Let us have this Wikipedia discussion!) In that case,
I would like to add it to the guix-past channel, since I need it for
the 10 years reproducibility challenge, so the naming question still
stands. By the way, how are naming conflicts between channels resolved?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andreas



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Packaging pd
  2020-09-03 11:09 Packaging pd Andreas Enge
@ 2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
  2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-09-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names! I would like to package
>   pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
>   http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/
>
> Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

I’d say “primal-dual” and mention “pd” in the description.

> Then is there a point in packaging it at all? This is more or less a
> one-shot research software, I think, with no versioning. So maybe not
> relevant enough? (Let us have this Wikipedia discussion!) In that case,
> I would like to add it to the guix-past channel, since I need it for
> the 10 years reproducibility challenge, so the naming question still
> stands.

Your call!  If you think Guix-Past is a better fit, go for it!

> By the way, how are naming conflicts between channels resolved?

The same as when you type, say, “guix build guile@2”: a warning is
printed.

Ludo’.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Packaging pd
  2020-09-03 11:09 Packaging pd Andreas Enge
  2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
  2020-09-17 13:13   ` Andreas Enge
  2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel


Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names! I would like to package
>   pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
>   http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/
>
> Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

“pd” in Guix is “Pure Data”, the visual data flow language that’s often
used for music.  It is an option to rename it to “pure-data”.

-- 
Ricardo


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Packaging pd
  2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
@ 2020-09-17 13:13   ` Andreas Enge
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks for your replies, Ludovic and Ricardo!

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 12:22:45PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> > name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?
> “pd” in Guix is “Pure Data”, the visual data flow language that’s often
> used for music.  It is an option to rename it to “pure-data”.

I opted for "primal-dual" and put it into guix-past. So there is no
particular reason to rename the "pd" that already made it into guix
master.

Andreas



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Packaging pd
  2020-09-03 11:09 Packaging pd Andreas Enge
  2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
@ 2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
  2020-09-18 11:57   ` Renaming “v” to “vlang”? Ludovic Courtès
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2020-09-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:
> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names!

It gets even worse: one letter package names.  Of course there's 'r',
but it's obviously very well established, and grandfathered in, so
that's fine.

However, in 2017 an obscure shell named 's' was added to Guix.  I
intervened and got it renamed to 's-shell' in Guix.

More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html

      Mark


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
  2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
@ 2020-09-18 11:57   ` Ludovic Courtès
  2020-09-18 12:24     ` Ricardo Wurmus
  2020-09-18 17:57     ` Mark H Weaver
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-09-18 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html

Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.

Objections?

Ludo’.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
  2020-09-18 11:57   ` Renaming “v” to “vlang”? Ludovic Courtès
@ 2020-09-18 12:24     ` Ricardo Wurmus
  2020-09-18 17:57     ` Mark H Weaver
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-18 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel


Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
>> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
>> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html
>
> Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
> ‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.
>
> Objections?

No, sounds good to me!

-- 
Ricardo


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
  2020-09-18 11:57   ` Renaming “v” to “vlang”? Ludovic Courtès
  2020-09-18 12:24     ` Ricardo Wurmus
@ 2020-09-18 17:57     ` Mark H Weaver
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2020-09-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
>> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
>> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html
>
> Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
> ‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.

That would be good, thank you! :)

      Mark


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-09-18 17:59 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-03 11:09 Packaging pd Andreas Enge
2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
2020-09-17 13:13   ` Andreas Enge
2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
2020-09-18 11:57   ` Renaming “v” to “vlang”? Ludovic Courtès
2020-09-18 12:24     ` Ricardo Wurmus
2020-09-18 17:57     ` Mark H Weaver

unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/0 guix-devel/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-devel guix-devel/ https://yhetil.org/guix-devel \
		guix-devel@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-devel

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.devel
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.devel


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git