unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Freenode Administration
@ 2021-05-19 17:54 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-05-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I received this message on Freenode:

```
-jess- [Global Notice] Hi all. It feels like my moral responsibility
    to inform all users that administrative control of freenode and
    its user data will soon change hands, and I will be resigning from
    freenode staff effective immediately. It's been an honour to help
    you all.
```

Below are some resignation letters I have seen.

I think this event presents an opportunity for reassessment of
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/contact/irc/>.  Two interesting areas to
explore are Freenode alternatives and IRC alternatives / compliments.

# Freenode Alternatives

Here are some Freenode alternative questions I have:

Will Guix continue to use Freenode?

Will Guix create #guix channels on other IRC networks? (Several of the
resignation letters refer to <https://libera.chat/>)

Will Guix start it's own IRC server(s)?

# IRC alternatives / compliments

Some criteria that I have come up with are:
* Free software
* Can be used without a graphical user interface as many GPUs are not
  compatible with Linux-libre and can not run Xorg or Wayland window
  managers / desktops.
* Peer to peer as a way to avoid the issue of a centralized
  administrator changing their administration in undesirable ways.

Some alternatives that come to mind that would need further
investigation include the following.  I do not know if any of these meet
all the criteria I mention above.

* Scuttlebutt
** https://scuttlebutt.nz/
** Is there a client that works without a graphical environment?

* DAT
** Are there messaging application for DAT?
** https://www.datprotocol.com/

* IPFS
** Are there messaging application for IPFS?
** https://ipfs.io/

* Jami
** https://jami.net/
** Swarms specifically
*** https://jami.net/swarm-introducing-a-new-generation-of-group-conversations/
*** Swarms are fully distributed and peer-to-peer text conversations,
    with a potentially unlimited number of participants.
** <Lutices[m]> on Freenode #jami said:
   "https://github.com/AmarOk1412/jami-cli/ no video/audio support but
   support swarm"

* RetroShare
** http://retroshare.cc/
** Is there a client that works without a graphical environment?

# Resignation Letter

These are some of the resignation letters I have seen.

https://www.kline.sh/
https://swantzter.se/freenode-resignation/
https://coevoet.fr/freenode.html
https://mniip.com/freenode.txt