Christopher Baines writes: > Christopher Baines writes: > >> While I've been working on the software side of building things for >> substitutes through the Guix Build Coordinator for over a year now [1], >> I've only been personally pushing to bring the benefits to Guix users by >> default for the last few weeks [2]. >> >> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00323.html >> 2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-05/msg00020.html >> >> The strategy that currently seems most feasible is to add an additional >> default source of substitutes: bordeaux.guix.gnu.org. >> >> I think things are pretty much ready, you can find some information at >> https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/ . If you're up for trying out fetching >> substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, now is a good time to do so, and >> please report back in terms of how it's working out for you. > > The patch to enable bordeaux.guix.gnu.org as a default substitute server > is available in [1]. > > 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48435 > > I've created a wip-bordeaux branch [2] now which includes that patch, > plus a commit to update the guix package to build guix including it. I > think this will be helpful when testing the changes. > > 2: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-bordeaux > > I've also drafted a blog post, which can be found here [3]. > > 3: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/drafts/substitutes-from-bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.md > > If I can find the time to test things this week, maybe the changes in > #48435 can be merged on Friday. If anyone is up for testing things, or > reading through the blog post, that would be great. These changes are now in master, and I've published the blog post! https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/substitutes-now-also-available-from-bordeauxguixgnuorg/ As said in the blog post, I regard this as an important milestone. As a change goes, the impact will be gradual, but I'm hoping in hindsight it will be a step forward.