Hi Ludo' Ludovic Courtès writes: [...] > OK, understood. > > I can think of two ways to reassure committers: > > 1. By having clear reviewer check lists (you’d do that if you tick all > the boxes, you’re fine); also a description of the review process used by you and other experienced patch reviewers could be much useful: it's more /how/ do you check al the aspects of a patch (it's not only running "guix lint" obviously) than /what/ do you check, IMHO maybe this could be a specific chapter of the cookbook, maybe some experienced patch reviewer could make a sort of (reharshed) "live patch review" video of some patch representing interesting "class of patches" reviewers may encounter (upstream updates, changes in Guix package structure, patches to fix building issues...) if available I'd also attend a paid "Contributing Guix" course, since it would be /very/ useful to my work... but that's out of scope here, I think > 2. By improving automation—nothing new here: if there was a tick that > says “applies without merge conflicts” and another one that read > “builds fine”, anyone could lightheartedly hit the “merge” > button. OK but this can also be achieved now without automation, just by commenting the patch submission so that committers can "reuse" the work already done by others; a check-list can help for sure: could it be auto-generated by debbugs via a mail-template on receiving a message in the patch-list? > #2 is going to take time I’m afraid, but at least #1 is actionable > (‘guix lint’ should help, too). > > WDYT? Are there other possibilities that come to mind? is it possible to automate "guix lint" (and add it as git hook before commit?) only for the package(s) specific to a patch-set? [1] [...] > And yes, we should take advantage of the WhereIsEveryone meetups and > guix-mentors to get to know each other, to help each other, and to > demystify the whole thing. I'd not miss the chance to someway document important things said during meetings/IRC/email-messages useful to demystify the whole thing: I know it's more work for some of you, but hopefully for less work in the future [...] Thanks! Gio' [1] that is: is there a command that given a patch is able to give us a list of affected guix packages? -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures