unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
To: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Core-updates coordination and plans
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:51:30 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Feb 27 2024, Andreas Enge wrote:

> a time-based approach sounds like a good idea

How about the second Monday and Tuesday of every month?  That is a slow
time for contributors who have more time on weekends.

> It might still be good to do it in a separate branch instead of
> master, and to merge it after substitutes are available.

While it is good practice to build and test changes, I have a better
proposal for a better availability of substitutes, below.

> Since "guix pull" takes the latest commit from the master branch,
> users could otherwise end up with a world-rebuild commit without
> substitutes.

In a nod to Vagrant's remark, I would accept the "moving target" and
instead publish the substitute coverage for each commit.

A good algorithm could figure out from a user's system configuration
which most recent commit provides all the required packages.

For more general use, a "prebuilt" branch could track commits that
provide 100% universal coverage.  That should be our goal, even if it
sounds elusive today.

> So maybe we could have a time window, but also discuss and prepare before-
> hand which big changes we would like to push?

Please have hope humankind.  Why not a free for all?  Most people will
feel uncomfortable with the freedom, anyway.  The fear of messing up
will drive them to the mailing lists.

> Having a team or a dedicated individual (in both senses of the terms,
> a designated person with a lot of dedication) to shepherd this through
> would also be good.

I like the idea of you taking charge! You would bring experience,
credibility and an agreeable personality---all in nearly perfect
harmony. Are you available?

Kind regards
Felix