unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* API for rewriting package fields ?
@ 2024-04-26  5:25 Nicolas Graves via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Nicolas Graves via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-04-26  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Is there an interface to rewrite / update a field from a series of
packages easily?

What I get from the change in python-team last change for the
pyproject-build-system is that we need to add python-setuptools or
python-wheel to all packages that will complain about it, when trying to
build. The errors are very easy to diagnose (a string match in stderr:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'setuptools'
or
error: invalid command 'bdist_wheel'
is enough to know what's wrong).

The logical thing to do here IMO would be to have a script running,
reading stderr when it fails and programmatically replacing where it's
needed, since it's done for 2-3k packages basically.

I know some work has been done with the guix refresh command to rewrite
based on package field location, but I'm not sure it provides a
convenient-enough API to simply say in guile "add this package to
native-inputs of this package in place".

Would love some counselling here, thanks!

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves